[act-ma] 2/23-2/24 Institute for Progressive Christianity Winter Symposium Discusing Gay Marriage

Stephen Rockwell steve at crossleft.org
Thu Feb 15 11:45:18 PST 2007

Countering Fundamentalism: Christian Gospel as a Basis for Progressive
Social Action

 <https://128bit.clickandpledge.com/default.aspx?ID=12085&cid=US&a=>
Register now https://128bit.clickandpledge.com/default.aspx?ID=12085
<https://128bit.clickandpledge.com/default.aspx?ID=12085&cid=US&a=>
&cid=US&a=

For more info: www.instituteforprogressivechristianity.org

What

The symposium seeks to provide both a forum for lively discussion and debate
integrated with planning sessions for Greater Boston. The two-day event will
feature intellectual discussions on the History of Christian Progressivism,
Jesus' Call to Peacemaking, the Theological Support for Gay Marriage.

We will also hold interactive sessions that seek to develop a
cross-denominational, cross-tradition Progressive Christian Council that
will work towards a public policy agenda regionally and nationally.

Event Details
February 23rd and 24th
23rd: 6:00 - 9:00pm; 24th 9:30am - 3:00pm
First Church in Cambridge (UCC), 11 Garden Street Cambridge, MA 02138, one
block from Harvard Square

Who

Speakers and panelists include: Prof. Richard Parker, Kennedy School of
Government, Harvard University; Rev. Debra Haffner, Religious Institute on
Sexual Morality, Justice, and Healing; Rev. Anne Fowler, President of
Religious Coalition for the Freedom to Marry; Frederick Clarkson, Founder of
Talk2Action.org, Rev. Osagyefo Sekou, Executive Director of New Orleans
Interfaith Worker Justice, and others.

Agenda

Friday, February 23
6:00 - 6:20 Welcoming and Prayers
6:20 - 7:00 Opening Speaker - Rev. Debra Haffner
7:00 - 7:30 Visioning Session
7:30 - 9:00 Professor Richard Parker - "How did we get here - history of
religion and politics."
9:00 - 11:00 Socializing in Harvard Square

Saturday, February 24
9:30 - 10:30 Welcoming Service and Update on New Orleans, Rev. Osagyefo
Sekou
10:30 - 12:15 - Gay Marriage Panel
Guests:
Rev. Anne Fowler, President of Religious Coalition for the Freedom to Marry
Justin Lee, Executive Director GayChristian.net
Rev. Pam Werntz, Assistant Rector, St. Paul's Episcopal Brookline
12:15 - 12:45 Lunch
12:45 - 2:00 Organizing for Success: Understanding the Arguments of the
Right
2:00 - 3:00 Local Agenda Setting
3:00 - 3:30 Closing

About the Institute for Progressive Christianity

We are Progressive
We are progressive in that we desire to promote: the Love of God, Neighbor
and Self; Compassion; Justice; and the Common Good.

We are Christian
We are an ecumenical group of Christians of different theological
orientations: Liberal, Mainline Protestant, Catholic, and Evangelical. We
believe in being in community that maintains unity while acknowledging and
supporting our diversity. We are united in our conviction that our
progressive values flow directly from our understanding of the message and
example of Jesus.

We are an Institute
We have faith that we can positively confront the ills of this world with a
progressive Christian witness that is coherent, convicted, intelligent, and
passionate. In a spirit of being affirmative, we believe that engaging
society's questions should be done transparently and authentically from a
reasoned yet inspired place of substance. We research, analyze, and discuss
the issues with an eye to welcoming other people into a dialogue where we
can encourage and provoke each other to fulfill our destinies as unique but
interdependent reflections of the Creator.

Stephen P. Rockwell
Director, Institute for Progressive Christianity
Executive Director, CrossLeft
Sloan School of Management | Massachusetts Institute of Technology | MBA
Class of 2007
John F. Kennedy School of Government | Harvard University | MPA Class of
2007
mobile: 215-317-1865
fax: 617-812-1065
www.Cr <http://www.crossleft.org/> ossLeft.org