[act-ma] 03/14: CCI Brown Bag: Amnesty for Prisoners of Katrina (Wed)

Janet Gillespie janet at communitychangeinc.org
Wed Feb 28 10:55:45 PST 2007

Community Change Inc.
Brown Bag Anti-Racism Discussion Series 2007
Changing the Public Discourse around Race

Amnesty For Prisoners of Katrina:
An Event for Gulf Solidarity, Local Organizing and Camaraderie

The human-made disasters surrounding the storms of 2005 are ongoing and
outrageous.  The right of return must be guaranteed for all internally
displaced peoples. We will watch the movie I Won¹t Drown on That Levy and
You Ain¹t Gonna Break My Back, by Critical Resistance * and discuss ways to
help with current organizing work and campaigns against prisons, both
nationwide and locally.

March 14, 2007 (Wednesday)
Noon‹1:30 p.m.
Community Change Library on Racism
14 Beacon Street, Room 605
Boston MA 02108

Presenter: danni west
danni west is a 21 year old white anti-racist queer organizer, agitator and
educator for positive change.  While living in Boston, she is currently
working with the Groundwork Unitarian Universalist Collective, Critical
Resistance¹s Amnesty Campaign, and various other projects for collective
liberation.
*http://www.criticalresistance.org/katrina/

Please bring your lunch. Beverages will be provided. $5 contribution
requested.
RSVP (617) 523-0555 or ernestine at communitychangeinc.org

The current public discourse around race assumes that we live in a
color-blind society where the American Dream is attainable by all
individuals who work hard enough. This deeply flawed discourse obscures the
racial disparities in employment, education, criminal justice, housing,
health care, etc. and provides a powerful but faulty rationale for leaving
our systems and institutions the way they are. The issues presented at the
Community Change Brown Bag Discussion Series are concrete examples of the
structural racism that affects the lives of all, most acutely communities of
color. The 2007 Series places these issues in their social/historical
context and gives attendees a truthful discourse, as well as ways to put
that discourse into action, in order to challenge institutional and systemic
racism.
Community Change, Inc 617-523-0555
http://www.communitychangeinc.org