[act-ma] 3/11 Int'l Women's Day Event: FIGHT WITHOUT FEAR! Filipinas Resist U.S. Imperialism

Huibin Amelia Chew hachew at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 21:38:59 PST 2007

 *****   CELEBRATE INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY    *****
with INCITE! Boston Women of Color Against Violence

Presenting, as part of our film series on Global South Women's Movements,
A Fundraiser Film Screening & Discussion:

'FIGHT WITHOUT FEAR!'
Filipinas Resist U.S. Imperialism
==============================
WHEN: 4 pm - Sunday, March 11
WHERE: Encuentro 5, 33 Harrison Ave., 5th
floor<http://www.encuentro5.org/contact.htm>(Downtown Crossing T-stop)
Suggested donation: $7, based on ability (All proceeds will go to support
GABRIELA's work)

GABRIELA is a mass women's organization in the Philippines working to free
women from all forms of oppression, whether intimate violence, landlessness
and economic exploitation, lack of reproductive healthcare – or foreign
domination by the U.S.

* After 9/11, U.S. bases in the Philippines re-opened...
* Women were over half of the 800 people disappeared in recent political
violence under the U.S.-backed Arroyo dictatorship...
* Decades of economic and military domination by the U.S. have resulted in
the massive exportation of Filipinas as domestic workers and mail-order
brides...

Come hear about this amazing movement's work organizing peasant women,
squatters, students, and the urban poor!

JOIN US for a discussion, and celebration of International Women's Day --
and women's resistance!

With:
* Darlene Lombos, organizer/film-maker
* Dorotea Mendoza, Secretary General of GABRIELA Network
* Olivia J. Qunto, lead organizer of GABRIELA Network
* Voices of Liberation
* members of INCITE! Boston Women of Color Against Violence
* and others!

** We will have delicious home-cooked Philippine food!  **

** Books & crafts for sale, including the new INCITE! Anthology: **
"The Revolution Will Not Be Funded: Beyond the Non-Profit Industrial
Complex"
fresh from South End Press!
(see http://www.southendpress.org/2006/items/87662 for details)

About the Film Series:
===================
Too often the roles of Global South women in struggles for economic
and social justice are ignored.  Or they are mentioned in passing,
without a full look at the richness of their experiences, and lessons
they offer us all.

* What can we learn from women's contributions?
* Why does colonization depend on sexism?
* What can Global South women teach us about how racism, patriarchy, &
imperialism work, that we might otherwise miss?

For more info, please contact inciteboston at yahoo.com or 617-947-0759
INCITE! Boston Women of Color Against Violence inciteboston.blogspot.com
      ------------------ Please Forward Widely! ------------------

 <http://inciteboston.blogspot.com>

--
compadre,
if i injected my flesh with silicone

hermano,
does market follow demand, or demand follow market?
i want to be the white girls of your wet dreams with million-dollar
prosthetic bodies, $40,000 makeovers, features imprinted on your cock
by billion-dollar industries

I am beautiful in my mind
until you choose them instead
slap my ugliness to my face

and you tell me you don't understand this kind of competition!
i didn't write the rules
of this game you don't recognize
you just follow the market, the ads, the art, the enterprize...
shaping the sadness of my sickness

Sisters, come together & incite
refugees of false dreams to unite.

inciteboston.blogspot.com