[act-ma] 3/18: James Harney: "Globalization and the Undocumented"

Commchurch.org info at commchurch.org
Tue Mar 13 11:24:08 PDT 2007

THE COMMUNITY CHURCH OF BOSTON
SUNDAY SPEAKERS FORUM presents...

Sunday, March 18, 2007 at 11:00am

Central America Week
JAMES HARNEY
"Globalization and the Undocumented"

at Community Church of Boston
565 Boylston St. (Copley Square)
www.commchurch.org

*************

Jim Harney, a photojournalist and storyteller, traveled to the U.S.-Mexico
border & the Mexico-Guatemala border in the thick of our national debate on
the fate of some 12 million undocumented people. Latin American migrants run
a gauntlet of brutality, riding on the outside of freight trains, trekking
through deserts, hoping to find in the U.S. a future denied to them in their
homeland by economic imperialism. His presentation illustrates the human
cost of globalization, as he shares some of their stories and explores the
forces driving them to make the dangerous journey north.

Jim is artist-in-residence for Posibilidad, a Maine-based nonprofit that
engages people in conversation around the excluded of society. For more than
two decades, this former priest has traveled to and lived with the poor in
Venezuela, Haiti & the Dominican Republic, Argentina, Iraq, Colombia,
Chiapas, Guatemala and El Salvador. Also, following his presence at protests
of the World Trade Organization here and abroad, his photos and narratives
have unmasked corporate violence.

*************

NEXT WEEK'S COMMUNITY CHURCH FORUM (3/25)

30th Annual Sacco and Vanzetti Award (to Mumia Abu Jamal)

*************

SHARE THE MORNING WITH US

10:00am Coffee, Tea and Bagels
11:00am Sunday Speakers Forum
12:30pm Luncheon

*************

THE JUSTICE SCHOOL FOR KIDS AND TEENS!

Community Church of Boston is proud to announce "The Justice School", an
exciting new program starting up for kids and teens.  The Justice School
teaches and learns from young people about social justice and how to live
it.  Ages 7-17 can enroll.  For more information, contact JooYoung Choi,
Director of The Justice School, at 617.266.6710 or at
jooyoung at commchurch.org

*************

COMMUNITY LUNCHEON

After the Sunday Speakers Forum we share lunch with one another, prepared by
Luis Alonso Guzman. We ask for and appreciate your contribution, which helps
cover luncheon expenses.

*************

DIRECTIONS/PARKING

The Community Church is located at 565 Boylston Street in Copley Square,
between Dartmouth and Clarendon Streets. Parking is available on Sunday
mornings at the Back Bay Garage (entrances on Clarendon Street or St. James
Ave.). We can provide a sticker to affix to your parking receipt and you
will be charged only $3 until 1:30pm.

By public transportation, take the Green line to Copley or take the Orange
line to Back Bay station. Community Church is a 2-4 minute walk from either
station.

*************

A PEACE AND JUSTICE CONGREGATION SINCE 1920

The Community Church of Boston is a free community of human beings united
for the study and practice of universal religion, seeking to apply ethical
ideals to individual life and the democratic and cooperative principle to
all forms of social and economic life.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT US

Jason Lydon, Congregational Director
Community Church of Boston