[act-ma] 4/22: Ford Hall Forum presents "Is Global Warming a Cause For Alarm?" at Old South Meeting House

Mary Curtin marycurtin at comcast.net
Mon Apr 2 06:53:29 PDT 2007

Ford Hall Forum
presents
Is Global Warming a Cause For Alarm?

with
Richard S. Lindzen
(Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Science at MIT and
member of the National Academy of Sciences)

Sunday, April 22, at 6:30-8:00 pm
at the
Old South Meeting House

(Boston, MA) Ford Hall Forum presents “Is Global Warming a Cause For Alarm?”
with Richard S. Lindzen. Sunday, April 22, at 6:30-8:00 pm. Followed by an
open discussion. Admission is free and open to all. Old South Meeting House,
310 Washington Street (corner of Milk St.), Boston, MA. Wheelchair
accessible and conveniently located near the State St. and Downtown Crossing
stops on the MBTA. For more information call Ford Hall Forum 617-373-5800 or
visit www.fordhallforum.org.

Our planet has become warmer in recent decades, and there is a growing
chorus—as evidenced in the recently released report of the U.N. Panel on
Climate Change—claiming that, unless we curb production of greenhouse gases,
the consequences will be disastrous.

However, some still remain unconvinced that economy-wide carbon caps and
similar regulatory measures will help the situation, the President among
them. Does the cost of regulation outweigh the damage of inaction?  Should
the United States government take dramatic public policy steps and become a
party to international treaties, or continue to wait and see?  Should we
brace for stronger hurricanes, invasions of tropical diseases, and
significant increases in sea levels?

Prof. Richard Lindzen steps into the fray to offer his view that irrational
alarm may be clouding our judgment.  Join us for tonight’s discussion as we
explore what the future holds for our planet—and what we should do about it.
This program is being presented as part of the Ford Hall Forum's continuing
series on environmental issues.

Background information

Richard S. Lindzen, the Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Sciences at
the MIT since 1983, previously held professorships at Harvard and the
University of Chicago.  His A.B., S.M. and Ph.D. are from Harvard.  He is a
member of the National Academy of Sciences, the American Academy of Arts and
Sciences, and the recipient of various awards. He is the author or coauthor
of three books and over 200 papers.  His current research is on climate
sensitivity, atmospheric convection and the general circulation of the
atmosphere.

In its 99th spring series of events, the Ford Hall Forum presents seven open
public discussions on the issues concerning our community, nation, and world
today. From global warming to immigration to disaster preparedness, the
Forum hands over the microphone to thought-provoking speakers on the front
lines. To facilitate frank and open discussion, equal time is provided for
speakers’ remarks and audience members’ questions. At the Ford Hall Forum,
no speaker goes unquestioned and no view goes unchallenged.

The Ford Hall Forum promotes freedom of speech and fosters an informed and
effective citizenry through the public presentation of lectures, debates,
and discussions. Its events illuminate the key issues facing our society by
bringing to its podium knowledgeable and thought-provoking speakers,
including some of the most controversial opinion leaders of our times. These
speakers are presented in person, for free, and in settings, which
facilitate frank and open debate. As the nation’s oldest free public lecture
series, it has a storied past as a venue for some of the most intriguing
figures in our nation’s modern history, including Maya Angelou, Isaac
Asimov, Alan Dershowitz, W.E.B. DuBois, Stephen Jay Gould, Al Gore, Dr.
Martin Luther King, Jr., Henry Kissinger, Norman Mailer, Ayn Rand, Cokie
Roberts, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Malcolm X, to name just a few. Programs of
the Ford Hall Forum are made possible through contributions from individual
members as well as corporations and foundations, including The Boston
Foundation, The Boston Public Library, The Colonnade Hotel, Fidelity
Investments, The Fred and Marty Corneel Fund, Houghton Chemical Corporation,
Levine Katz Nannis + Solomon P.C., The Lowell Institute, Massachusetts
Cultural Council, The Nellie Mae Education Foundation, Northeastern
University, The Old South Meeting House, Prince, Lobel, Glovsky & Tye LLP,
and WBUR 90.9 FM.  For more information log onto www.fordhallforum.org.

The Ford Hall Forum presents this program in collaboration with the Old
South Meeting House, as part of their Partners in Public Dialogue Series.
Old South Meeting House is a non-profit museum and historic site, located on
the Freedom Trail, dedicated to sustaining the building¹s tradition as a
community-gathering place for the free exchange of ideas and to provide a
place where people can connect the issues of the past with the issues of
today. It receives support from the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state
agency, the Institute of Museum and Library Services, a federal agency, and
other public and private sources. Visit www.oldsouthmeetinghouse.org for
more information.

###

--submitted by marycurtinproductions
c/o Mary Curtin
PO Box 290703, Charlestown, MA 02129
617-241-9664, 617-470-5867 (cell), marycurtin at comcast.net
"dedicated to staging insightful entertainment, particularly in
non-traditional venues"
www.marycurtinproductions.com