[act-ma] 5/9 - Jonathan Schell et al. to read for AGNI's 35th anniversary, Wednesday May 9th

AGNI Magazine agni at bu.edu
Fri Apr 20 09:42:48 PDT 2007

Wednesday, May 9, 2007, at 7:00 p.m.

Boston Playwrights' Theatre, 949 Comm Ave, Boston (Green Line B, Pleasant
St.)

AGNI Magazine's 35th Anniversary Celebration, launching  issue #65, with
readings by

*      Jonathan Schell:       One of America's foremost writers on peace and
war.

*      Melissa Green:         Poet and memoirist; author of The Squanicook
Eclogues.

*      Vince Passaro:          Author of Violence, Nudity, Adult Content: A
Novel; contributor to Harper's Magazine, GQ, & many others.

*      Rosanna Warren:      Poet & translator; winner of the Lamont Prize
and the American Academy of Arts & Letters's Award of Merit.

AGNI invites one and all to a reading and release party
<http://www.bu.edu/agni/news/index.html#Events>  on Wednesday, May 9, 2006,
at 7:00 p.m., to celebrate our 35th anniversary and the publication of AGNI
65.  The reading will be held at Boston University's Boston Playwrights'
Theatre and will feature Jonathan Schell, Melissa Green, Vince Passaro, and
Rosanna Warren.

AGNI <http://www.agnimagazine.org/> -"one of America's, and the world's,
most significant literary journals" (PEN American Center)-holds a "balance .
. . between service to new writers and fidelity to what's what in writing
itself" (Seamus Heaney).

Jonathan Schell is the author of twelve books, most recently The
Unconquerable World: Power, Nonviolence, and the Will of the People (2003),
which Richard Falk in The New York Times called "the most impressive
argument ever made that there exists a viable and desirable alternative to a
continued reliance on war."  A staff writer at The New Yorker from 1967
until 1987, Schell is senior visiting lecturer at Yale College and Yale Law
School.  Since 1998, he has been the Harold Willens Peace Fellow at the
Nation Institute, where he is now based, and the Peace and Disarmament
Correspondent for The Nation magazine.  He appears often on radio and
television, including Fresh Air with Terry Gross, The Lehrer News Hour, The
Charlie Rose Show, and Hardball with Chris Matthews.  His recent articles on
the nuclear question have appeared in The Nation, Foreign Affairs, and
Harper's, of which he is a contributing editor.  Jonathan Schell lives in
New York City.

Melissa Green is the author of two books, a poetry collection, The
Squanicook Eclogues (Norton), and a memoir, Color is the Suffering of Light
(Norton). She has received the Norma Farber Award from the Poetry Society of
America and the Lavan Award from the Academy of American Poets. Her poems
and essays have appeared in The New York Review of Books, The New Republic,
AGNI, Grand Street, and elsewhere. Her translation of Joseph Brodsky's verse
is included in Nativity Poems, a selection of Brodsky's work that also
includes translations by Seamus Heaney, Paul Muldoon, Derek Walcott, and
Richard Wilbur. She very recently completed a new volume of poems,
Fifty-Two.

Vince Passaro is the author of Violence, Nudity, Adult Content: A Novel, as
well as many stories, essays, and reviews appearing in such publications as
AGNI, GQ, Esquire, Harper's Magazine, The New York Times Magazine, The
London Sunday Times Magazine, O The Oprah Magazine, Story, Boulevard, and
Open City.  He has taught writing and literature at Columbia, Hofstra, and
Adelphi Universities, and this fall will teach a seminar at New York
University on "The Writer in New York," where he lives.  He works for Yaddo,
the artists' colony in Saratoga Springs, New York.

Poet Rosanna Warren is the author, translator, & editor of many books,
including her collections Snow Day (1981); Stained Glass (1993), which won
the Lamont Prize from the Academy of American Poets; Each Leaf Shines
Separate (1985); and Departure (2003).  Among many other grants and prizes,
she has won the Discovery /The Nation Award, the Lila Wallace-Reader's
Digest Writer's Award, and the Witter Bynner Prize. In 2004 the American
Academy of Arts and Letters chose Rosanna Warren for its Award of Merit of
Poetry, given once every six years to an outstanding poet.  She is a member
of AGNI's Advisory Board.

Free and open to the public. For further information contact AGNI Senior
Editor William Pierce at agni at bu.edu or (617) 353-7135 or visit AGNI Online
at www.agnimagazine.org <http://www.agnimagazine.org/> .

________________________________

AGNI Magazine

Sven Birkerts, Editor
William Pierce, Senior Editor

New fiction, poetry, and essays posted weekly at  <http://www.bu.edu/agni>
AGNI Online, which the blog Three Quarks Daily calls "one of the best online
journals in America."

An interview <http://newpages.com/interviews/pierce_agni/pierce_agni.htm>
about lit mags in general and AGNI in particular appears at NewPages.com.

"Yes, but I wonder if truth isn't simply a matter of the way we view things.
Perhaps the world can be read in different ways. There is, of course, the
truth of the senses-what we believe because of what we see with our eyes,
hear with our ears, touch with our hands. There's the truth of the
intellect, which puts things in terms of causes and effects, patterns and
laws. Finally, there's the truth of the soul, which is poetic and measures
according to its own harmony or discord, according to the melancholia or
expansiveness it experiences."

-- from "The Three Veils of Ibn Oraybi" by Vincent Czyz, in AGNI 64
<http://www.bu.edu/agni/toc/64/index.html> .

Our email lists keep you informed about readings in Boston and New York.

AGNI is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that relies on additional
support from Boston University, the National Endowment for the Arts, the
Massachusetts Cultural Council, and a committed roster of
<http://www.bu.edu/agni/about/friends/donors.html>  individual donors.  We
thank them for keeping AGNI at the frontiers of literature.