[act-ma] 6/5 - Solidarity with Boston School Bus Drivers; 6/2 - Boston Workers' Alliance, The CORI Movement Continues

IAC Boston iacboston at iacboston.org
Fri Jun 1 15:13:36 PDT 2007

in this email:

1) 6/5 - Solidarity with USW L. 8751, Boston School Bus Drivers
2) 6/2 - Boston Workers' Alliance Gives Back - The CORI Movement Continues
*1)*

USW L. 8751, Boston School Bus Drivers Union is asking for your support
for this important struggle against the multi-national First Student
Corporation.  This union has always been in the forefront of struggles
against racism, sexism, anti-LGBT bigotry, war and poverty.  This
predominantly immigrant local has always stood strong in support of the
rights of ALL workers - documented and undocumented.

We hope that you will come out in solidarity with USW L. 8751 on June 5.

*

Only Union Power Can Win Grievance Settlements!*
*Now Is the Time, Before First Student / Laidlaw*
*Skips Town with Your $$$!*

*

All Out to the *
*Local 8751 Picket Line!*

*Tuesday, June 5th*
*11:00 AM*

*First Student / Laidlaw*
*The Schrafft Center, Charlestown
(see driections below)
*

In late April, First Student / Laidlaw notified the City of Boston that
it does not intend to stay in Boston past next year.  Apparently, this
billion dollar transnational monopoly, the largest school and interstate
bus company in the U.S., hasn't been able to steal enough taxpayers'
dollars from the city to make its lords and stockholders in Scotland
happy.

Ted Leclerc & managers are packing their bags full of thousands of
dollars of bus drivers' unpaid labor, owed through dozens of unsettled
grievances.    Nearly every member is waiting for a grievance settlement
for your flat rate, e-time, payroll problem, benefit denial, bereavement
leave pay, holiday pay, unfair suspension or another violation of your
rights.

Even when the Union wins a settlement or Arbitration Award, company
managers, on their way out of town, are refusing to abide by the law.
The company's answer to the members' just demands is now extreme
disrespect, mass suspensions and discipline against the Union's good
members.

First Student's decision to pack up and leave the school transportation
system in Boston in turmoil leaves the children of Boston stranded.
Clearly, this monopoly's propaganda about caring for the children is a
crock.  "/*First Student*/"?  "/*First Profit*/" is a more fitting name.

*Local 8751 Will Not Allow First Student To Get Away Like a Thief In The
Night!*

/*Local 8751 Demands:*/

    * Settle the massive Backlog of Grievances, Now!
    * Stop the Suspensions, Terminations and Harassment!
    * Honor the Contract and Arbitration Awards!
    * Respect Our Union Members and Union Rights!
    * Implement the Protocol for Downing an Unsafe Bus, Now!

for more information contact USW L. 8751 - 617-524-7073 or visit
http://www.bostonschoolbusunion.org

Directions

*From The North:*
I-93 South take Exit 28 toward Sullivan Sq/Charlestown. Continue
straight and merge onto Mystic Ave. Continue straight toward Sullivan
Sq/Charlestown. Merge onto rotary and take Main St. exit located next to
Schrafft's Center. Take left into parking lot.

*From The South:*
I-93 North take Exit 28 and follow ramp down to set of lights. Take
right at lights toward Sullivan Square. At next set of lights merge onto
rotary and take 2nd exit onto Main St. Take left into parking lot.

*From The West:*
Take Mass Pike (90) to Downtown Boston, follow signs to route 93 North.
Take Exit 28 and follow ramp down to set of lights. Take right at lights
toward Sullivan Square. At next set of lights merge onto rotary and take
2nd exit onto Main St. Take left into parking lot.

*2)*

*Boston Workers' Alliance Gives Back*

*The CORI Movement Continues*

    * *Community Report Back from the CORI march * Video Clips * Poets**
    * *CORI Friendly Jobs Info * BWA Membership Info * Free Lunch Served **

*Saturday, June 2nd
12-3pm
Dudley Library
65 Warren St., Roxbury*

Last month, 1,000 people marched from Roxbury to the State House to
demand jobs and CORI reform.  Join us on Saturday to celebrate our
achievements and build the movement to stop the CORI.  We will be
returning to the State House in late June to keep the pressure up.  Get
informed and get involved, please joins us for this BWA Community Outing!

If you're unemployed, working temp jobs, can't get a job because of your
CORI, or just sick and tired of being "sick & tired," be seen and be
heard -- join the BWA.

Call (617) 427-8108, email info at bostonworkersalliance.org or Chuck
Turner's Dudley Office.

To download a flyer, visit http://www.BostonWorkersAlliance.org