[act-ma] Fwd: "START the MUSIC, STOP the WAR: June 23 @7:00 PM, Regent Theater, 7 Medford Street, Arlington

michael borkson nosanctions at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 16 01:50:22 PDT 2007

--- Weimin Tchen & Pauline Gobeil
<gobeiltchen at earthlink.net> wrote:

Hi Weimin, UJP isorganizing a different kind of
protest of the war this summer. If youlike theidea
could you spread the word around? We can also provide
strikingcolorposters and palm cards for anyone
interested in getting the word outthat way.The
Iraqresolution is still alive in the house after some
bizarre events. I’llfill everyone in soon (when I get
handle on it!). best paul shannon

http://www.masspeaceaction.org/startmusic-stopwar.html

---------------------------------

Nowthat Congress has voted to escalate the Iraq war,
it's time for ourUJPCoalition to kick off our summer
protests with something a little bitdifferent!

Get your tickets now for...
"START the MUSIC, STOPthe WAR:  AnEvening of Culture
and Protest"
Saturday, June23rd at7:00 PM, Regent Theater, 7Medford
Street, Arlington,MA

Join the United for Justice with Peace Coalition and
the Center for Teen Empowerment for an uplifting
evening of creativeresistance,featuring live music and
performances spanning generations and
genresincludinggospel-soul, hardcore folk, hip-hop,
rock, spoken word, beat box dance,NewOrleans street
band music and much more – all presented as a
creativeprotest to the disastrous war in Iraq!  "Start
the Music,Stop the War" will bring together young and
old, city and suburb,black,brown and white to say that
the war must end now – and to speakthis truth through
music and song, poetry and dance. We hope that
thediversity of our performers and artistic genres
will make this a uniqueandmemorable event that will
inspire all participants to connect with eachotherand
continue working toward the kind of country and world
that gives ushope.

Help us kick-off this excitingevent with aPeace Parade
through ArlingtonCenter, led by theSecond Line Social
Aid and Pleasure Society Brass Band! Meetup at 6:00PM
at Arlington Town Hall in Arlington Center(accessible
byMBTA bus #77 from HarvardSquare).The Peace Parade
will begin at 6:30, culminating at the Regent
Theatre,wherethe concert and cultural program will
begin at 7:00 PM.

The line-up features:

   Kemp Harris(Gospel-Soul)
   Soul ofChange (Hip-Hop)
   JakeBrennan (Hardcore Folk)
   The Second Line SocialAid and Pleasure Society
Brass Band (Yes, that's right: a brassband!)
   Inthe Public Interest (Eclectic Rock)
   Ketchup (Spoken Word)
   Mr.Them (You won't believe this!)
   Status Quo(Hip-hop dance)
   DesireeRivera (Spoken Word)

Ticketsare $20 for general admission, $10 for college
students andlimited-incomeindividuals, and $5 for high
school students. (Get your tickets early -a
$3.00surcharge will be added to all tickets sold at
the door!) All proceeds willsuport UJP'speace and
justice organizing initiatives and Teen Empowerment's
youthleadership work.

Topurchase tickets, send your check (made out to
United forJustice with Peace) and mailing address to:
Start the Music, c/o AmericanFriends ServiceCommittee,
2161Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge,MA 02140.
(When ordering by mail, please specify how many
general admission,college/low income, and high school
tickets you want.)
Your tickets will be mailed to you if your check is
received by June19th. All orders received after this
date will be available for pick-up atthetheater.

You can also purchase your tickets online by visiting
www.RegentTheatre.com/events/protest.htmand clicking
on the "Order Now" button, or you can get your
ticketsdirectly at the Regent Theatre Box Office,
Tuesday – Saturday from 12PM– 5 PM and one hour before
the show (6 - 7 PM) on Saturday, June23rd.  Call
781-646-4TIX (4849) for the Regent Theatre box office
orvisitwww.RegentTheatre.orgfor directions and more
details about the venue.

To learn more and getinvolved with the United for
Justicewith Peace Coalition, visit
www.JusticewithPeace.org or call 617.497.5273.