[act-ma] 7/1 Citizens Summit Rally and Impeachment March (Sun) [MAINE]

James in Cambridge tompaine at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 27 14:59:12 PDT 2007

   http://www.maineimpeach.org/Events.html
  [And for additional background see message pasted in below...]

   Citizens Summit Rally and Impeachment March
   July 1st starting at 1:00 pm at the Village Green in Kennebunkport,
Maine.

This can be the pivotal event that galvanizes impeachment for all
of New England if not the whole Northeastern U.S.

Since Putin will be in Kennebunkport we can count on the INTERNATIONAL
PRESS, the WHITE HOUSE PRESS CORP, and national and local media to be
present.

We want to turn out big numbers for this!!
>From all over the Northeastern U.S. !!

Our theme is: IMPEACH PRESIDENT BUSH AND VICE PRESIDENT CHENEY.
Groups and individuals are encouraged to bring banners, flags, signs and
noisemakers, as well as water and snacks.

Event Schedule:
11:00 AM to 1:00 PM - people will be gathering in Kennebunkport at the
Village Green on Ocean Avenue. Live music will be performed by -
PAT SCANLON AND BAND, MATT LOOSIGIAN, AND THE RAGING GRANNIES

1:00 PM to approx. 2:15 PM - Rally events and speeches

Event speakers include:

• Melita Arredondo - Gold Star Families
• Danny Muller - Peace Action Maine
• Peter Kellman - Southern Maine Labor Council
• Dan DeWalt - Patriotic Response to Renegade Governmant (Vermont
Impeachment)
• Dan Lourie - Peace and Justice of Eastern Maine and Veterans For Peace
• John Kaminski - Chair of maine Lawyers For Democracy
• David Swanson - co-founder of AfterDowningStreet.org

2:30 PM (approximate starting time) - March up Ocean Avenue to the area near
Walker's Point.
Accompanying the march will be the LEFTIST MARCHING BAND ( See
www.leftistmarchingband.org )

"We are marching to demand the impeachment of President Bush and Vice
President Cheney for not only death and destruction in the Middle East but
in America as well. From Katrina to the mutilation of our Constitution, the
evisceration of habeas corpus, torture and the warrantless surveillance of
American Citizens" says Jamilla El-Shafei, event organizer for the Kennebunk
PEACE Department. "Bush needs to be held accountable, especially when he is
in our backyard!"

The marching route is less than 2 miles each way.
We will have first aid stations with bottled water ($1.00) as well as a
"BLISTER VAN" for folks who cannot finish the walk (for whatever reason) and
need to fall out, the van will pick them up.

This event will happen regardless of weather - RAIN OR SHINE

For more info contact Jamilla at jamillaelshafei at yahoo.com.

This event is being organized by the Kennebunk Peace Department and the
Maine Campaign to Impeach.  Other event supporters include: Maine Veterans
for Peace, Green Mountain Peace, The Vermont Impeachment Movement, and
Patriotic Response to Renegade Government.

Expenses for this event total over $4000 and they need to be repaid.  Please
send contributions to:
Maine Campaign to Impeach, P.O. Box 5346, Portland, ME 04101.
Make checks payable to Maine Veterans for Peace / Impeachment.

TRAVEL INFO
For those traveling from outside the area you can take the AMTRAK DownEaster
train to Wells, Maine on Saturday June 30.

leaves North Station Boston  arrives in Wells
9:05AM 10:53AM
11:05AM  12:53AM
5:00pm 6:48pm
6:20pm 8:13pm

**please note that we will provide shuttle service from the Wells station to
Kennebunk on Saturday. However, you need to contact our logistics person
(Jamilla) to let us know to expect you and your group. NO SHUTTLE SERVICE
FROM THE TRAIN STATION ON SUNDAY.

HOUSING- The UU church in Kennebunk is allowing folks to sleep on their
floor overnight for a $5.00 donation. Bring your air mattress.
People who sleep at the UU church must leave at 8:30am so that the church
can get ready for church services. Someone will pick everyone up at 8:30am
and people will go to Jamilla's house for breakfast (donations accepted)
then we will shuttle people to Kennebunkport .

CAMPING- Jamilla has offered her property as a place to camp (by
reservation). When that site fills up we have another site for camping near
by. You may take a shower at Jamilla's but please bring towels and
toiletries. We will provide a shuttle to Kennebunkport.

CONTACT- Jamilla at jamillaelshafei at yahoo.com

RALLY PARTICIPANTS TRAVELING BY VEHICLE ON SUNDAY JULY 1st
Get to Kennebunk High School early to catch the shuttle bus. Kennebunkport
is a congested place. There will be a $4 donation requested for round trip
bus travel.

Please take rt#95 ether north or south and get off at the Kennebunk exit.
Turn on rt#35 south towards Kennebunk. In less than a minute after getting
off the exit you will see the Kennebunk High School on your left. We have
permission to park there for the day. The shuttle service will start at
9:00am making runs to Kennebunkport.

IMPORTANT** PLEASE be at the Kennebunk High School as close to 9:00 AM as
possible so that we can get everyone shuttled to the assembly site. Since we
only have limited space on our shuttle, if lots of people arrive close to
12:00 or 1:00 we may not be able to get you to the rally on time.

LIMITED PARKING is available at the North Street lot in Kennebunkport.
However, don't risk getting stuck in heavy traffic - it's best to park at
the Kennebunk High School.

DO NOT ATTEMPT to enter Kennebunkport via Wells and rt # 9 . We can promise
that you will be stuck in traffic for at least 45 minutes if you do that.

Click HERE!
To download a poster for the Kennebunkport July 1 event.
Print it out and put it up around town!

BUSH - PUTIN MEETING IN MAINE

George W. Bush and Vladimir Putin will be meeting in Maine on July 1-2. A
New England regional protest will be held on July 1 in Kennebunkport and the
planned march will take folks right up to the Bush family compound.

The protesters will be calling for impeachment of Bush for the many obvious
reasons that most of us are familiar with. They should do so. They will call
for an end of the U.S. occupation of Iraq. And they should.

Sadly I won't be able to be there as Mary Beth and I will be down in Atlanta
for the U.S. Social Forum during that same time. We will be doing
presentations about Star Wars and economic conversion of the military
industrial complex in two different workshops being organized by WILPF.
While in Atlanta we will be staying at a Buddhist temple run by a monk and
nun who we have been friends with for many years. Mary Beth walked with them
from El Salvador to Washington on a peace walk in the 90's and I organized
many peace walks in Florida years ago that they always led - chanting and
drumming at the front of the walk. Their order, called Nipponzan Myohoji, is
best known for organizing peace walks all over the world. It will be good to
spend time with our dear friends again.

If I was at the July 1 Kennebunkport protest I'd be carrying signs and
banners about Bush's plan to deploy so-called "missile defense" systems in
Poland and the Czech Republic as part of the U.S. plan to "control and
dominate" the Earth and space. This topic is likely to be the chief point of
contention at Bush-Putin meeting here in Maine. Sadly, not enough people in
the peace movement are aware of the issue and do not see how the Bush
deployments are a key trigger to the start of a new and severe arms race
between the U.S. and Russia.

--
Bruce K. Gagnon
Coordinator