[act-ma] 8/29 - 2nd Anniversary Hurricane Katrina/ Rita

IAC Boston iacboston at iacboston.org
Sun Aug 26 16:33:37 PDT 2007

/*From the Lower Ninth Ward to Lower Roxbury!*/

*JOIN US & STAND IN SOLIDARITY WITH THE SURVIVORS OF HURRICANE KATRINA
/RITA *

Bring Poetry, Music, Solidarity Messages and the Spirit of Revolution!

*WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 29, 2007*
4:30 pm - 6 pm
Dudley Square

International Action Center - 617-522-6626 * iacboston at iacboston.org
<mailto:iacboston at iacboston.org> * www.iacboston.org
<http://www.iacboston.org>

August 29th 2007 marks the second year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina.
The world bore witness to the devastation in the states of Mississippi,
Alabama and Louisiana. The images of destruction, pain and loss called
for all of us to reach out and offer support to our fellow Americans.
Shock even struck people in developing countries as they observed the
collapse of the levees, people stranded and the actions (inactions) of
the U.S. government. For 4 days, the poor, Black, Native Americans and
Latin@'s were left to die. We've been Katrina-ized - a criminal
negligence on the part of the government - characterized by the
treatment of the poor and oppressed people of color as less than human -
as second class citizens!

/*Join with the survivors and demand:*/

    * Justice and Reparations for Katrina/Rita Survivors
    * The Right of the Hurricane Victims to Return
    * Money for Levees - Not for Racist Border Walls nor Bombs!
    * Youth need Jobs and Education - Not Prisons, CORI and WAR!
    * Stop the Racist WAR Against Communities of Color
    * Stop the Violence - Stop the WAR at Home and Abroad
    * Defund the Pentagon - $$$ for Jobs, Housing, AIDS, Healthcare and
      Education

The War On Iraq has cost the US more than $453,180,000,000*!

/*I**n the Gulf Coast**, we could have:*/

    * Insured 186,680 Children for one year!
    * Built 2,807 Additional Housing Units!
    * 5,402 Additional Public School Teachers!
    * Provided 15,113 students four-year scholarships at public
      universities!

* Figures from http://www.costofwar.com <http://www.costofwar.com/>
** Figures for New Orleans, Louisiana

International Action Center