[act-ma] Protest at 9/5 Republican Debate at UNH-Durham

Susie Husted susie_husted at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 07:28:51 PDT 2007

Fowarded from NH Peace Action:  Please contact Anne Miller directly for more info:  anne at nhpeaceaction.org or Arnie Alpert, aalpert at afsc.org

  -------------------------

  Dear Friends,

On Wednesday, September 5, Republicans will hold their second NH debate at the University of New Hampshire.

We plan to have a pro-peace presence there too.

WHAT: Please join us in calling on Republican candidates for
president to END THE WAR SAFELY, SPEEDILY, AND RESPONSIBLY - in
 other words, NOW. I urge demonstrators to bring signs that might best
resonate with Republican voters who will be attending the debates, as they will be our main audience (in addition to any media that cover us).  This includes the cost of the war, which is now estimated at $720 million every day.

WHEN: Wednesday, Sept. 5 from approximately 5:30 pm - 8 pm.

WHERE: UNH Campus sidewalks on Main Street between Whittemore
 Center and the Field House. You can download a map at:  www.unh.edu/map/

The pre-debate reception in the Field House gymnasium will begin
 at 6pm. The field house will be on your right, just off of Main
 Street, as you drive onto campus from Rt. 4 (There is parking directly
 across in Lot A.) We are asking people to be there with signs at 5:30 pm.

  The sidewalks in front of the Field House are public property.
 This means that we have a right to be on them, we don't have the
 right to obstruct pedestrians, and we may be asked to keep moving.

Doors for the debate at the Whittemore Center open at 7:30 pm
 (the debate begins at 8:30 pm). We will want to have a presence at
 this time. Please note that the debate attendees (and possibly some
candidates, but probably their higher-up staffers) will need to
 cross the road to get into the Whittemore Center.

The AFSC has secured a permit for its "Cost of War" banners in
 front of the Whittemore Center. We will hopefully be able to gather
 with the banners just prior to the debate as people are arriving at
 the Whittemore Center.

For questions before the debate, please call NH Peace Action at

603-228-0559 or AFSC at 603-224-2407 (or email). Both Arnie
 Alpert at AFSC and I will have our cell phones at the event. We can be
 reached at the numbers below. We both plan on arriving before 5:30 pm.

Arnie Alpert 603-491-0198
Anne Miller  603-520-0839

We look forward to seeing you on Wednesday!

Anne Miller
Director
New Hampshire Peace Action
4 Park Street Suite 210