[act-ma] 11/8 Dinner discussion of Immigrant Rights and the "Other Campaign" (thurs)

Kendra Johnson kendraj at MIT.EDU
Sun Oct 28 17:58:03 PDT 2007

A dinner discussion of Immigrant Rights and the "Other Campaign":
Community organizing on both sides of the border

Thursday, November 8th
7pm - 8:30pm
56-114
see map at: http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?selection=56&Buildings=go

Dinner will be served.
Please RSVP to: hemisphere-feedback at mit.edu
*Bring your own cup and plate if you can!*

A member of the immigrant rights movement in the United States joins
a representative of the National Urban-Rural Council from Tlaxcala,
Mexico to discuss community organizing for rights and autonomy on
both sides of the border.

Topics for discussion:
-> The struggle for the recognition of immigrant workers’ rights
-> The transnational (both sides of the border) struggle for autonomy.
-> The work in organizing from below and to the left
-> The struggle to exercise self determination as a means to
citizenship.

Sponsored by:
MIT Western Hemisphere Project: http://web.mit.edu/hemisphere
Mexico Solidarity Network: http://www.mexicosolidarity.org/site/

Background information:
The second stage of the Zapatista's other campaign -- the world
campaign for the defense of the land of the indigenous peoples -- has
begun.

The National Indigenous Congress declared in Tuxpan, Jalisco,that
“the Sixth declaration of the Lacandon Jungle is a mirror where we,
the peoples, see ourselves reflected; each village of México is
reflected on that mirror. And for this reason we reconfirm the 6th
Declaration of the Lacandon Jungle as a just, legitimate and legal
path, supported by the historic right of the peoples, the nations,
the tribes and indigenous barrios. The current political system has
given us its back; it is no longer an option for our peoples.  For
this reason we will continue to work through our own modes and forms
of organization”.

In that mirror, the migrant communities in the US also see themselves
reflected.  The circuit of migrant peoples -as part of the south to
north exodus- permanently weaves political, social, cultural threads,
a dynamic that can be described as a transnational network of social
actors that struggle for work, survival and a life with dignity and
respect.

In other words, transnational migrants struggle on a daily basis to
exercise their “citizenship” and their rights as workers wherever
they work, live and study. Here citizenship is understood not as a
status, but more adequately, as a shifting set of attitudes,
relationships and expectations with no necessary territorial
delimitation. That is to say, migrants exercise their social and
political rights on both, their country of origin and their country
of destination because they are members of and participate in two
different political communities. Under this premise, migrants are
socially –de facto- citizens of more than one state not only due to
the social, cultural and economic relationships they build in their
new country of residence but also because of the relationships they
maintain with people in their home country.

The National Urban-Rural Council from Tlaxcala “has walked” with the
Ex-Braceros, women, indigenous peoples, workers and children like a
transhumance group to organize, resist, live and struggle in an
autonomous way. Like a circular story, they come from the roots of
resistance and migration to adhere to the Sixth Declaration of the
Lacandon Jungle  and  La Otra Campaña, to share about their struggle
and resistance.