[act-ma] Open Media Boston seeks contributors for test news/arts website launch

Jason Pramas jpramas at igc.org
Thu Nov 15 21:00:10 PST 2007

**Please Forward Widely***

11/15/07

Dear Boston area progressives, media mavens, news junkies and arts lovers,

On December 15th, a team of media folks, techies, designers and artists
is launching the beta test version of a new progressive news, views and
arts website for the Boston area. If you're a fan of democracy, social
justice, fair and accurate reporting, and fun, then you'll want to check
us out.

We're calling the site Open Media Boston, and we're looking for
experienced journalists and essayists, photographers, radio and video
producers, and digital artists (or artists whose work can be digitized)
who are interested to become regular contributors. We're particularly
interested to talk to folks who'd like to cover one of the various
community, political, and thematic "beats" that we'll run content about
on an ongoing basis. Be it a community like Roxbury or Allston, a polity
like the State House or Boston City Hall, or a interesting theme like
Anti-War or Technology or Theater, Open Media Boston wants coverage in
text, photos, audio and video. We're also planning to make room for
academic publications and youth media--and doubtless other areas of
interest we haven't thought of yet.

The editorial perspective will be from the broad left, the focus will be
Boston and environs, the technology will be the latest social media
built on free and open source software, but the material we'd like to
spotlight will need to meet basic journalistic standards as overseen by
Open Media Boston editors.

Regular contributors will see their work featured on our Front Page. All
contributors will retain all rights to their work.

If you're not an experienced media person, no problem. People of all
levels of experience are sought to post content to our Open Forum and to
comment on published works in all areas of Open Media Boston--after
signing up for a free User account. Editors will constantly scan the
Open Forum looking for material to publish to the Front Page.

After testing and fine tuning the site for a couple of months, we're
currently planning to do our full site launch in February.

Open Media Boston, a project of the non-profit Media Working Group--a
national progressive media producers collaborative--will be all
volunteer at first, but as we raise money over the months to come we'll
seek to pay as many editors, staff, and regular contributors as we can.
In the best spirit of community, collaborative and social media, we
believe that many editors and staff will ultimately come from the ranks
of the regular contributors. So we encourage folks to get involved in
the project on the ground floor.

Anyone interested in becoming a regular contributor for the beta test
launch should send 3 samples of their work (or web links to their work)
to jpramas at igc.org . We'll get back to you as soon as we can. Anyone
who'd just like to sign up for a User account for the test period should
email the same address. All questions or comments are also welcome.

We look forward to working with the Boston area progressive and artistic
communities to build a great media outlet. Stay tuned for more
announcements from us in the weeks to come.

Cheers,

Jason Pramas
Editor/Publisher
Open Media Boston