[act-ma] Ending Slavery, Cambridge Forum, Feb 6, 2008

Cambridge Forum camforum at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 30 14:02:21 PST 2008

Cambridge Forum
 3 Church Street ● Cambridge, MA 02138

ENDING SLAVERY
February 6, 2008, 7:30 p.m.

Shockingly, some 27 million slaves exist today, toiling in both rich and poor countries, a number twice that of slaves taken during the entire 350 years of the African Slave Trade.  When Kevin Bales first exposed this hidden human suffering in his 1999 book, Disposable People: New Slavery in the Global Economy, he was asked repeatedly how ordinary people could take action to end this misery.  His most recent book, Ending Slavery: How We Free Today’s Slaves, provides a detailed, comprehensive plan that he wants Americans to understand and use to end slavery in our lifetime.

“Read Kevin Bales’s practical and inspiring book, and you will discover how our world can be free at last”, says Desmond Tutu.  On February 6, he will present this plan at Cambridge Forum.

Kevin Bales is president and co-founder of Free the Slaves, an American sister organization to Britain’s Anti-Slavery International and Professor Emeritus at  Roehampton University in London.  He is also author of Understanding Global Slavery, 2005.

Cambridge Forum, dedicated to promoting citizen engagement with pressing contemporary issues, is taped and edited for public radio broadcast.  Edited CDs are available to the public by contacting www.cambridgeforum.org or 617-495-2727.   Select forums can be viewed in their entirety on demand by visiting our website at www.cambridgeforum.org and clicking on the WGBH Forum Network.

Cambridge Forum
3 Church Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Phone/fax:  617-495-2727
email:  mailto:director at cambridgeforum.org
website:  http://www.cambridgeforum.org

"Bringing People together to talk again . . ."