[act-ma] Summer Leadership Program for teens

brgynn at aol.com brgynn at aol.com
Fri Feb 8 10:41:53 PST 2008

The 2008 Summer Leadership Program

The City School,?a nonprofit in Boston that runs powerful programs for youth leadership and social change, announces its 2008 Summer Leadership Program.

The Summer Leadership Program is where teens learn that individually and collectively, they are powerful agents of social change.?

The?program is for high-school teens from Boston and the suburbs who come together for an intense and fun 6 1/2 weeks of hands-on leadership training, community service, and seminars on some of the most pressing issues of our day: poverty, violence prevention, undoing racism, health education, hunger relief, suburban/urban collaboration, environmental justice, immigration, and much more.?

Each student spends 3 days per week?on learning, leadership and community building with peers.? The other 2 days are spent assisting local nonprofits like Rosie's Place, City Life/Vida Urbana, and many others.? Each summer teen receives a weekly stipend for this community service.??The teens also?develop and implement concrete, meaningful Community Action Projects throughout Greater Boston that serve to improve neighborhoods and communities.? Graduation in August celebrates the summer's accomplishments, and invites the teens?to continue learning together in our after-school and weekend social justice programs that run during the school year.

The Summer Leadership Program runs Monday through Friday, 9am-4pm, starting?July 1, 2008.? There is no fee.? However the cost to run the program is $4,500 per student.? With that, we ask each family to pledge?$1,000?toward their child's participation in the program.? However, we can accommodate families with limited or low income.? Full and partial scholarships are also available.

Applications are available at www.thecityschool.org/programs.html

For more information, contact the Director of Programs, Justice Williams, at justice at thecityschool.org or 617.822.3075 x16.

The City School:?building youth leadership for social change
614 Columbia Road
Dorchester, MA 02125
617.822.3075
www.thecityschool.org