[act-ma] 3/26 4,000th death commemoration

Stop the Wars Coalition info at stopthewars.org
Mon Mar 24 20:52:19 PDT 2008

Stop the Wars encourages you to participate in this.

*United for Justice with Peace*

*2161 Massachusetts Ave.** Cambridge MA***

*_Media Advisory_*

Date: March 24, 2008

Contact: Paul Shannon, American Friends Service Committee: 617-497-5273
or 617-623-5288

-- Photo and Interview Opportunities --

*4,000^th U.S. soldier killed in Iraq*

Boston area military families and residents gather on Tuesday, March 25

to commemorate another tragic milestone in the Iraq War

*_Who:_* United for Justice with Peace Coalition

*_Where:_* Boston Common at Park Street station

*_When:_* Tuesday, March 25  5:00 pm to 6:00 pm

*_What:_* Public Commemoration of the 4,000^th U.S. death in Iraq. (At
the event members of the Massachusetts chapter of Military Families
Speak Out will collect new winter clothing to donate to homeless
veterans in the Boston area.)

The press is referred to www.ivaw.org <http://www.ivaw.org/> to hear the
testimony of Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans at the March 15 Winter
Soldier Hearings about the true cost of the war for both our soldiers
and Iraqi and Afghan civilians. (Iraq Veterans Against the War:
215-498-3347)

*_Statements by local area contacts:_*

/Liam Madden is a U.S. Marine Corps Veteran who served as a Sergeant
with the 31^st Marine Expeditionary Unit in Haditha, Iraq from September
2004 to February 2005/.

"Today the US government's occupation of Iraq claimed the 4,000th of our
brothers and sisters, today another family has been destroyed as a
consequence of the lies and betrayal we have endured. This is a day of
grief, as everyday of the last five years have been. Our responsibility
to those who can no longer speak in protest is to carry their voices
into the heart of America's public consciousness." Available for press
calls: 703-408-3626

/Anne Chay from Andover has a son serving in the Army who recently
returned from Iraq/.

"I feel sick and sad hearing the news of the 4,000th U.S. combat death
in Iraq. As the mother of a soldier who served a fifteen month tour in
Iraq and may soon be recalled, I am seeing that more and more the burden
of this war is falling on a very few courageous young people who are
being sent back to Iraq again and again.  Despite so much death, despite
such public outcry, the best our political leaders are offering is a set
of vague promises that once a new President is inaugurated we might be
able to slowly withdraw some of our troops from Iraq. That's not good
enough -- we need them to act now to bring all of our troops home
quickly and safely." Anne is available for press calls at 978-376-7584

/Susan Lees is on the coordinating committee of United for Justice with
Peace/.

"We had hoped to stop this war before the 4000th US service person dead
had been reached.  4000 dead is important – but it is only the tip of
the iceberg in terms of the terrible impact this war is having on our
society. There are more than 40,000 service people wounded, their
families are overwhelmed.  And the Iraq veterans the War testified last
week in Silver Spring Maryland to their on-the-ground experiences in
Iraq and Afghanistan – and are visibly suffering from the brutal and
deadly acts which they have seen and committed, and from our loss of any
moral center.  This is a brutal occupation in Iraq; not a helping hand!
It is hugely important to get their story out in the media, and in
Congress. They are asking to testify in Congressional hearings.

"Iraq is devastated.  There are over a million dead.  One half of the
entire Iraqi population is in need of emergency care, displaced, wounded
or dead.  Much of their infrastructure is destroyed. We need to Bring
our Troops home now – not allow a long term occupation, as the Bush
administration is pushing for. And we need to stop an attack on Iran."
Susan is available for press calls at 781-316-1618

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or
confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of
this message, please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the
message. Neither the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its
subsidiaries and associated companies) shall incur any liability
resulting directly or indirectly from accessing any of the attached
files which may contain a virus or the like.
Suren Moodliar
Telephones: 617-482-6300 (wk); 617-482-7300 (fax); 617-968-0880 (cell)
Projects: encuentro 5 & fair employment
Address: 33 Harrison Ave, 5th floor, Boston, MA 02111
Websites: www.massglobalaction.org <http://www.massglobalaction.org>;
www.fairjobs.org <http://www.fairjobs.org>; www.encuentro5.org
<http://www.encuentro5.org>

Visit: www.reclaimingtheivorytower.org