[act-ma] 7/31 Human Rights: Ideas & Action - Urgent Response Requested

Human Rights - Ideas & Action info at bostonhumanrights.org
Mon Jul 14 10:05:26 PDT 2008

Fellow Organizers and Change-Makers,

We are writing to invite your organization's co-sponsorship of the
upcoming "Human Rights: Ideas & Action" conference (July 31, 2008,
Boston Public Library & Old South Church, 9:00 - 5:30 p.m.). It will
bring together cutting-edge organizing and scholarship. As you know,
the human rights idea is widely used to frame our struggles and to
assert our shared identities. It has also been used to justify
policies of intervention. But this conference is not about the abuses
of the idea; instead it is to  (1) explore how local organizing has
used the idea (2) appreciate global advances in human rights,
especially from the Global South and (3) deepen existing or foster new
relationships between the scholars and activists.

Anyone familiar with the history of Boston knows that this is not a
new topic. Exciting coalitions have animated the human rights idea
over many generations; indeed, there is ongoing organizing _and_
thinking about the rights to good jobs, secure housing, a clean
environment, health and health care, as well safe, affordable and
adequate water. Struggles for workers rights and justice for migrants
join those gender and sexual equality and recognition. That our list
of topics could continue testifies to the vibrant diversity of our
movements. This conference offers _one_ opportunity for these
processes to come together while affirming other important, ongoing
conversations and organizing.

The conference takes advantage of the annual meeting of the American
Sociological Association that continues over that weekend. As a
result, we will draw in many scholars and graduate students from all
over the country and especially members of an important network of
activist scholars, Sociologists Without Borders. The morning session
of the day-long conference features presentations from scholar
activists who have written, "The Leading Rogue State: the US and Human
Rights" (see the cover online,
http://bostonhumanrights.org/start/sites/default/files/BlauPBK4.pdf).
The presentations will include local organizers responding to the
scholarship. The afternoon session showcases our work through a
variety of panels and presentations.

By co-sponsoring the conference, you will be agreeing (1) to be listed
among the sponsors, (2) to publicize the conference to their base
and/or lists, and (3) to send at least one representative to the
conference. The conference is free and open to organizers; it includes
a lunch served at the Old South Church (Copley Square, across from the
morning venue, the Boston Public Library).

To find out more about the conference or to provide feedback, please
contact Ben Day (617-555-1212, director at MassCare.org) or Suren
Moodliar (617-968-0880, suren at MassGlobalAction.org).

Thank you for considering our request.

Sincerely,

Ben Day, Mass Care
Russ Davis, Jobs with Justice
Jenniffer Doe, Jobs With Justice
Gabriel Camacho, AFSC, Project Voice
Kim Foltz, Bikes Not Bombs
Emily Hardt, Women's Institute for Leadership Development
Dorotea Manuela, Boston May Day Coalition
Suren Moodliar, Mass Global Action
Grace Ross, Mass Movement
Aaron Tanaka, Boston Workers Alliance