[act-ma] 8/2: Take to the Streets - NO WAR ON IRAN!; 8/2: Day without Recruitment

IAC Boston iacboston at iacboston.org
Thu Jul 31 18:57:02 PDT 2008

In this email:

*1) 8/2: Stop War on Iran - Military Recruiting Center, Tremont St.
2) 8/2: Day Without Recruitment - Protest at the Military Recruiting
Center, Tremont St.
**3) IRAN: Growing Threat & Deadline Meets Growing Opposition - Take to
the streets on August 2!*

*1)  8/2: Stop War on Iran - 12 pm Military Recruiting Center, Tremont St.*

*Rally/March in Boston - No War on Iran*
*SATURDAY, AUGUST 2*
*Assemble:* 12 p.m. at Military Recruiting Center, 141 Termont St.
(across from Park St. T)
*March:* Israeli Consulate, 20 Park Plaza

*/An Emergency Call to Action: Stop War on Iran/*

U.S. out Of Iraq & Afghanistan
NO U.S. Attack on Iran through Israel
Foreclose the War NOT People's Homes
Shut Off the War NOT Our Lights

An Attack could be Imminent we Can't Afford to Wait, Take It to the
Streets This Summer

*download flyer* -
http://www.iacboston.org/stopwaroniran/080208/iran_leaflet_boston.pdf

Endorse the call - http://stopwaroniran.org/aug22008endorse.shtml
Donate to help with organizing expenses --
http://www.iacboston.org/donate/donate.html
Sign the online petition - http://stopwaroniran.org/petition.shtml

*2)  8/2: Day Without Recruitment - Protest at the Military Recruiting
Center, Tremont St.*

*SATURDAY, AUGUST 2 - 12 p.m.*
*Day Without Recruitment*
*Military Recruiting Center, Tremont St.*
(141 Tremont St. near Park St. T-stop between Temple Pl. and West St.)

UMASS Boston Antiwar Coalition
umassantiwar@ gmail.com
http://www.campusantiwar.net

*3)
**IRAN: Growing Threat & Deadline Meets Growing Opposition
/Take to the streets on August 2!/
*

*The threat of a U.S./Israeli attack against Iran is growing - but so is
grassroots opposition.*  What we do in the next few days and weeks can
make a difference.

In Congress, support is growing for House Resolution 362 and Senate
Resolution 580, both of which call for a air, sea, and land blockade of
Iran.  House and Senate members - from both major parties -  continue to
sign onto the resolutions.  In the House, the bill has 253 co-sponsors,
which is only 37 short of how many votes it would take to pass on the
suspension of the rules - without a floor vote.

Meanwhile, the Bush Administration has stepped up its threats against
Iran.  On July 22, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice met in Abu Dhabi
with foreign ministers and senior officials of the six Gulf states,
along with Egypt, Iraq and Jordan. *At the meeting Rice warned that Iran
had two weeks to halt its development of nuclear energy or face further
"punitive measures."*  That deadline will expire on August 5, making the
call to action on August 2 <http://www.stopwaroniran.org/> even more
urgent and timely.

To reinforce the threat, Rice's statement was immediately followed by an
announcement from Israeli military adviser Amos Gilad that Israel was
preparing to attack Iran if diplomacy failed---and that the U.S. would
not veto such action.

As the threats of an attack on Iran grow, the opposition is mobilizing
across the U.S. and worldwide. Momentum is growing for actions in more
than 65 U.S. cities in response to the Emergency Call for Action by
StopWarOnIran (www.stopwaroniran.org <http://www.stopwaroniran.org/>).

The slogan of "No War on Iran" is being raised by hundreds of groups
that do weekly anti-war/peace vigils. In the heat of the summer and in
the midst of a national election campaign, when in-the-street activism
is hardest, the response shows that the Bush administration will not be
able to launch another war without the voice of the people being heard.

In addition to major cities from coast to coast, organizing work is
going on in smaller towns and cities like Westbrook, Maine; Melbourne
and Ocala, Fla.; Charlotte, N.C.; Bozeman, Mont.; Salt Lake City; and
Tucson, Ariz. Organizers as far away as Hawaii are mobilizing to protest
as an attack against Iran is threatened daily. In Washington, D.C., our
organizers report that they have gotten a very positive response as they
handed out the leaflet and asked people to sign the petition. The people
do not want another war.

One of the most gratifying things about this mobilization is the fact
that new, young folks are getting involved. For example, high school
students from Hicksville, Long Island, N.Y., have organized a 9:30 a.m.
protest at the local train station. Then they plan to take a "Peace
Train" to the larger regional demonstration at Times Square in New York
City. An "Art-in for Peace" is also planned for Aug. 2 in Long Beach,
Calif., coinciding with and supporting the regional protest at Pershing
Square in downtown Los Angeles.*

*In cities like Detroit, "Foreclose the war, not our homes" will be made
real as people from the Moratorium NOW! Coalition to Stop Foreclosures
and Evictions <http://www.moratorium-mi.org/> will be speaking at their
StopWarOnIran emergency demonstration.

We are hearing from activists around the world who are taking up the cry
to "Stop War on Iran." Anti-globalization forces in Moscow raised that
slogan as they picketed the park where U.S. citizens were celebrating
July 4th. On July 11, protesters organized by the Anti-Imperialist Camp
and other groups demonstrated in Vienna. Their statement read in part:
"The U.S. policy of aggression serves only to reinforce the strength of
the imperialist world power which now wants to make Iran the next victim."

We have heard from activists in Australia, China, France, Germany,
Italy, Japan and a number of countries in the Middle East, who are
mobilizing to support the Emergency Call. In fact, we got word that
there will be a procession in the streets of Dhaka, Bangladesh,
demanding no war on Iran, organized by We the People United. There will
also be actions in cities across Canada.

The Aug. 2 Emergency Call to Action has a growing list of Organizing
Centers across the U.S. and Canada, and other organizing tools are
available from www.stopwaroniran.org <http://www.stopwaroniran.org/>. *
*

In the next few days and weeks, we need to do everything we can to help
build a massive peoples' movement to oppose the warmongers in
Washington. *Now is the time to take to the streets, because only a
massive grassroots mobilization can stop another bloody and illegal war.*

If you haven't done so, please consider organizing a local action on
August 2 - or if there is already one in your area, contact local
organizers <http://stopwaroniran.org/aug22008orgcents.shtml> to find out
how you can help.

Also, please sign the online petition at
http://stopwaroniran.org/petition.shtml
<http://stopwaroniran.org/petition.shtml> and help us spread the word
<http://stopwaroniran.org/friend.shtml>.  Signing the petition will send
messages to President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Congress, the Board
of Directors of Halliburton, and the media.

In the next few days, we will be preparing placards and banners,
printing leaflets and educational materials, and holding organizing
meetings to prepare for the August 2 protests.  Please consider making a
donation at *http://stopwaroniran.org/donate.shtml
<http://stopwaroniran.org/donate.shtml>* to help us with the enormous
expenses of mobilizing a national response to Bush's war threats.

If you have a website, blog, MySpace, or other site, you can help us get
the word out by linking to us.  Graphics are available at
http://stopwaroniran.org/link.html <http://stopwaroniran.org/link.html>.

Above all, *join us in the streets on August 2* -for more information
and updates, see StopWarOnIran.org <http://stopwaroniran.org/>.

International Action Center

Boston:
617-522-6626