[act-ma] 8/08 Protest ICE Raids, 6pm Clemente Park, Lowell & organize follow-up protest in Boston]

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Thu Aug 7 19:10:59 PDT 2008

Forwarded from Sergio Reyes
Dear compas,

The following call was circulated in the Boston May Day Coalition listserv:

Solidarity Vigil and Press Conference
for Community Members detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement
(ICE) and Lowell police.

----------

Come and stand in solidarity and support for the young people detained
and their families

6 pm, Friday, August 8th
Clemente Park on Middlesex St.
Across from Palin Plaza,
Lowell, MA

=========================

I am encouraging all the compas who can to go up to Lowell in solidarity with this call. Also, we should consider together with all groups who stand for immigrant and migrant workers rights to follow the lead of the Lowell compas and organize over the weekend an event to protest the persecution of immigrants in the state and throughout the country. We should mobilize next week friday, either at the JFK Building or in another location, but cannot stand immobilized against these attacks against our brothers and sisters.

I am going to drive up to Lowell tomorrow, leaving Boston from the Copley Square area at 4:30pm to be in Lowell by 5:30pm. I can give a ride to up to 4 people (3 tight in the back and one in the front.) If you would like to come along please call me at 617-290-5614.

Also below are directions from Boston to Lowell, if you want to drive up on your own.

In the struggle,

Sergio Reyes
Boston May Day Coalition

Directions to Clemente Park:

:  Merge onto I-93 N via the ramp on the LEFT toward CONCORD NH.  23.9 mi
:  Merge onto I-495 S via EXIT 44B toward LOWELL.  7.5 mi
:  Take the LOWELL CONNECTOR exit, EXIT 35C.  0.6 mi
:  Merge onto LOWELL CONN N.  1.7 mi
:  Take the THORNDIKE ST./RT-3A N exit, EXIT 5B.  0.2 mi
:  Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto MA-3A N/THORNDIKE ST.  0.3 mi
:  Take the RT-3A N ramp.  0.1 mi
:  Enter next roundabout and take 1st exit onto MIDDLESEX ST.  0.4 mi
:  End at 823 Middlesex St Lowell, MA 01851-1407

Sign the on-line petitions to:

1. Stop the Raids and Deportations, and
2. Demand that the U.S. sign the UN Convention on Migrant Workers Rights

Please go to: http://www.bostonmayday.org