[act-ma] 10/17 & 10/18 Edible Forest Gardens - Greenfield, MA

Megan McDonough mcdonough.megan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 17:45:20 PDT 2008

Friday evening, October 17, 7-8:45 PM,
2nd Congregational Church – 16 Court Square Greenfield, MA
Gardening Like the Forest I: Home-Scale Ecological Food Production

Healthy forests maintain, fertilize, and renew themselves, naturally.
Wouldn't you like to grow an abundant food-producing ecosystem like
this in your back yard? You can! Edible forest gardens mimic the
structure and function of natural forests through all their stages of
development and grow food, fuel, fiber, fodder, fertilizers,
farmaceuticals, and fun. We can meet our own needs and regenerate
healthy ecosystems at the same time! This talk is a benefit in support
of Valley Community Land Trust. Suggested donation: $10.  No one
turned away for lack of funds.  More info at http://www.vclt.org.

Saturday, October 18, 9a-4pm Shelburne Line Road - Colrain, MA
Gardening Like the Forest II: Case Studies in Home Garden Design

How might we apply the principles and ideas of forest gardening to
actual sites where people live in our region? This "walk and talk"
workshop will use Valley Community Land Trust home sites as examples.
Join us as we learn to articulate design goals, analyze and assess
sites, schematically design landscapes, and develop ideas for
perennial polycultures of multipurpose plants. Bring your own lunch
and be ready to be outdoors most of the day – rain or shine. We highly
recommend attending Friday night's talk before attending this
workshop.  Sliding scale fee - suggested $50 per person.  Limited
enrollment – sign up now!  More info at http://www.vclt.org.

The Valley Community Land Trust (VCLT) is a 501(c)3 non-profit
organization that holds title to land, considering it neither as
private nor public property, but as a sacred resource to be held in
trust for present and future generations.  Since 1977, when VCLT was
incorporated, they have acquired through donations and purchase, over
200 acres of land in Franklin County, MA. This land has provided homes
for more than 50 people and provided a base for agriculture, forestry
and various cottage industries. http://www.VCLT.org

Dave Jacke, primary author of the award winning two-volume book Edible
Forest Gardens, has studied ecology and design since the 1970s, and
has run his own design firm—Dynamics Ecological Design—since 1984.
Dave is an engaging and passionate teacher of ecological design and
permaculture. He has designed, built, and planted landscapes, homes,
farms, and communities in the many parts of the United States, as well
as overseas.  He holds a B.A. in Environmental Studies from Simon's
Rock College and a M.A. in Landscape Design from the Conway School of
Landscape Design. http://www.edibleforestgardens.com