[act-ma] RFM recording of Howard Zinn speaking on the Meaning of Sacco and Vanzetti

Roger Leisner rleisnerrfm at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 16 11:13:49 PST 2008

Before a SRO audience on November 7, Howard Zinn discussed the relevance of the Sacco and Vanzetti case for America today for 35 minutes and answered questions for 12 minutes.  Prior to Zinn's talk, Robert D’Attilio narrated a recovered film of the Sacco and Vanzetti funeral procession for 18 minutes and David Rothauser, writer and producer of the docudrama, "The Diary of Sacco and Vanzetti" aired on WGBH-TV in 2004 and 2005, read the letters of Sacco and Vanzetti for 15 minutes.
During the Q&A period, Zinn responded to a question from long-time Boston radio journalist, Chuck Rosina, about the relevance between Sacco and Vanzetti and the recent election of Barack Obama.  As an anarchist, Zinn is "elated" that white people rejected racism and elected an African-American as President, but reminded the audience that "Our fate does not depend on who's sitting in the White House, our fate depends on who's picketing outside the White House."

Radio Free Maine
presents
HOWARD ZINN
Speaking on
THE MEANING OF SACCO AND VANZETTI

Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti were two Italian-born immigrants, workers and anarchists, who were tried and convicted in 1921 for the armed robbery and murder of two payroll guards.  After 7 years of legal appeals and international protest, the two men were finally executed on August 23, 1927 in Boston for a crime that many felt they did not commit and by a judicial system that was patently biased and unjust.
Howard Zinn is a historian, playwright and political activist.  Zinn was a shipyard worker and US Air Force bombardier in WWII before he went to college under the GI Bill and eventually received his Ph.D. from Columbia University.  Zinn has taught as a tenured professor at Spelman College and Boston University, and has been a visiting professor at the University of Paris and the University of Bologna.
Robert D’Attilio narrates a recovered film of the Sacco and Vanzetti funeral procession.
David Rothauser, writer and producer of the docudrama, "The Diary of Sacco and Vanzetti" aired on WGBH-TV in 2004 and 2005, reads the letters of Sacco and Vanzetti.
The Sacco and Vanzetti Commemoration Society seeks to preserve the memory of Sacco and Vanzetti and to honor their efforts in trying to radically change the society they lived in.  The Society wishes to bring out their place in the history of radical Massachusetts, to help draw useful connections between the struggle of Sacco and Vanzetti and similar struggles today, and to inform our community about their living legacy.  The Society stands against the death penalty, the persecution of political dissidents, as well as the persecution and scapegoating of immigrants.   The Society hopes that by raising a monument to Sacco and Vanzetti in Boston’s North End, a bronze bas-relief by the American sculptor, Gutzon Borglum, the same Borglum noted for his iconic sculptures of four American presidents in the hills of South Dakota, these issues can be kept fresh in the minds of our city, our state and our nation.
Sponsored by The Sacco and Vanzetti Commemoration Society
For more information, please go to www.saccoandvanzetti.org
Recorded by Roger Leisner on November 7, 2008 at the Dante Alighieri Society Italian Cultural Center in Cambridge, MA.
Available on DVD video, audio CD, VHS video and audiotape cassette
For information on how to order, please contact
Roger Leisner
Radio Free Maine
P.O. Box 2705
Augusta, Maine  04338

Email:  rleisnerrfm at yahoo.com
(207) 242-0643  Cell Phone

Samples of Radio Free Maine recordings are featured on ThinkTwiceRadio
www.thinktwiceradio.com

Radio Free Maine recordings may be rented via the internet at
www.audible.com