[act-ma] 11/20, thur, 7pm Bill McKibben speaking in Newton

Amy Hendrickson amyh at texnology.com
Tue Nov 18 08:25:32 PST 2008

This event is free and everyone is invited.

350 IS THE RED LINE FOR HUMAN BEINGS,

THE MOST IMPORTANT NUMBER ON THE PLANET.

CLIMATE SCIENCE & THE NEW GLOBAL INITIATIVE

AN EVENING WITH BILL MCKIBBEN

Thursday, November 20th, 2008

7:00PM

Wilson Chapel

Andover Newton Theological Seminary

Newton, MA

The most recent science tells us that unless we can reduce the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to

350 parts per million, we will cause huge and irreversible damage to the earth. Solutions exist. All around the

world, a movement is building to take on the climate crisis, to get humanity out of the danger zone and below

350. This movement is massive, it is diverse, and it is visionary. We are activists, scholars, and scientists. We

are leaders in our businesses, our churches, our governments, and our schools. We are clean energy advocates,

forward‐thinking politicians, and fearless revolutionaries. And we are united around the world, driven to make

our planet livable for all who come after us.  -- Bill McKibben

Bill McKibben is an American environmentalist and writer who frequently writes about

global warming, alternative energy, and the risks associated with human genetic engineering.

Beginning in the summer of 2006, he led the organization of the largest demonstrations

against global warming in American history. McKibben is active in the Methodist Church. He

has been awarded Guggenheim and Lyndhurst Fellowships, and won the Lannan Prize for

nonfiction writing in 2000. He has honorary degrees from Green Mountain College, Unity

College, Lebanon Valley College and Sterling College.

Cosponsored by Boston Theological Institute, Clean Water Action, Cooperative Metropolitan Ministries,

Episcopal Diocese of MA, MA Conference of the United Church of Christ, MA Council of Churches,

Massachusetts Interfaith Climate Action Network, and the Unitarian Universalist Society of Cambridge

For more information: www.350.org Lilah Glick, Clean Water Action: lglick at cleanwater.org, 617‐338‐8131 x202.

Tina Clarke

Campaign Director
Clean Water Action