[act-ma] 10/10 Will the Presidential Elections be Stolen? Film: "American Blackout"
Huibin Amelia Chew
hachew at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 22:25:39 PDT 2008
*Will the Presidential Elections Be Stolen? *
Come to a screening of *"American Blackout"*
*6 pm -- Friday, Oct. 10*
The Democracy Center, 45 Mt. Auburn St., Cambridge, MA 02138
(Harvard Sq T-stop)
"American Blackout" is a critically acclaimed documentary about the stolen
Presidential elections in 2000 and 2004, and voter disenfranchisement. By
examining then Georgia Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney's efforts to draw
attention to election fraud and her subsequent ousting, the film raises
questions about the racist obstruction of democracy, Democratic and
Republican complicity, and media silence.
The film lends urgency to the need for us to take back our voting system and
Followed by discussion on voter disenfranchisement, and the historic 2008
Green Party Presidential ticket of Cynthia Mckinney & Rosa Clemente.
Questions? kaveri.rajaraman at gmail.com
2006 Sundance Film Festival Special Jury Prize*
Many have heard of the alleged voting irregularities that occurred during
the presidential elections of 2000 and 2004. Until now, these incidents have
gone under- reported and are commonly written-off as insignificant rumors or
unintentional mishaps resulting from an overburdened election system.
American Blackout chronicles the recurring patterns of voter
disenfranchisement from Florida 2000 to Ohio 2004 while following the story
of Georgia Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney. Mckinney not only took an active
role investigating these election debacles, but has found herself in the
middle of her own after publicly questioning the Bush Administration about
the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
Whatever you think you know about our election systems or Congresswoman
Cynthia McKinney, this film will make you question further why the news
media fails to accurately inform the public. Directed by GNN's Ian Inaba,
creator of Eminem's "Mosh" music video, American Blackout critically
examines the contemporary tactics used to control our democratic process and
silence voices of political dissent.
Featuring: Congressional members John Conyers, John Lewis, Stephanie
Tubbs-Jones, Bernie Sanders and jounalists Greg Palast and Bob Fitrakis.
*Cynthia Mckinney / Rosa Clemente*
*Green-Rainbow Party Candidates for
President / Vice President of the United States!*
*5% of the Vote = National Party Status*
= Federal Funding + Exposure + Ballot Access in the Majority of States for
*"I want to be at that table. I don't want to be outside*… Once we're
treated as a legitimate major party… what we could do with that money
the platform* and principles of the Green party" would structurally change
US politics "in 4 to 8 more years" – Rosa Clemente
*"A vote for the Green Party is a vote for the **movement *that will turn
this country right side up." – Cynthia McKinney
*POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
McKinney / Clemente are a historic, first *all women-of-color* Presidential
ticket, who stand for:
* Reparations; right of return for Katrina survivors
* Universal, single-payer healthcare
* Full employment
* Immediate withdrawal from both Iraq and Afghanistan
* Cut military spending & redirect billions saved to fund human needs
* Amnesty for undocumented immigrants; opposes guest worker program as
riddled with abuses; end the raids and stop funding the border wall. Address
the trade, economic, & military policies fueling migration.
* End the privatization of prisons; end the "War on Drugs"
* Transgender-inclusive employment non-discrimination law
* Expand women's access to reproductive healthcare & domestic violence
* Repeal and reverse Bush tax cuts for the rich
* Moratorium on foreclosures; housing is a human right
* A living wage for all workers; ensure workers rights and repeal
Taft-Hartley as well as Free Trade Agreements like NAFTA
*Cynthia McKinney, Green Party candidate for President*, is a six-term
former Member of the United States Congress, and the first African American
woman elected to Congress in Georgia. *Rosa Clemente*, her running mate for
*Vice President*, is a longtime community organizer, journalist and former
director of the Hip Hop caucus.
Only Cynthia (among the Presidential candidates):*
- calls for the immediate withdrawal of all U.S. troops from Iraq and
Afghanistan; consistently opposed funding for bloated military and secret
- cosponsored every bill in Congress to create a system of universal health
care under a single payer model;
- authored a bill in Congress to institute a genuine living wage for all
- supports amnesty for undocumented immigrant workers;
- introduced the National Forest Protection and Restoration Act;
- sought the repeal of the USA PATRIOT Act and the Military Commissions
- introduced Articles of Impeachment for George Bush, Dick Cheney, and
- challenged Pentagon Secretary Rumsfeld and Chairman Myers of the Joint
Chiefs of Staff on the $2.3 trillion missing Pentagon money and on
U.S.-sponsored war games taking place on September 11, 2001;
- currently serves on (a) International tribunal on Hurricanes Katrina and
Rita, (b) Brussels Tribunal on Iraq, and (c) is participating in War Crimes
prosecutions in Spain.
*More on differences between McKinney and other candidates:*
A Gift for a Generation: A U.S. Financial System of Our Own
McKinney on the economic crisis:*
Join us in building a movement for real change! Under the electoral college
("winner takes all") system, Massachusetts is certain to go Obama. Every
vote for McKinney / Clemente counts: make your vote count towards 5%!
"We are in this to build a movement. We are willing to struggle for as long
as it takes to have our values prevail in public policy." -- Cynthia
5% of vote = Major Party Status + ballot access + exposure + public funds
...when your innocent eyes glance
at this confused, beginningless book,
you will see a deep-rooted, lasting rebellion
blooming in the heart of every song. ...
-- Forough Farrokhzad, translated
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Act-MA