[act-ma] 1/22 Initial meeting for campaign against water privatization (Thurs.)

Rob Kerth rkerth at greencorps.org
Mon Jan 19 08:04:32 PST 2009

*Community activist meeting and campaign planning session*
7 PM, Thursday, January 22
10 Milk St., Suite 610 (Take the T to State or Downtown Crossing.)

Universal access to safe drinking water is one of the cornerstones of a
healthy world.  Currently, over 1 billion people worldwide lack
sufficient water to meet their daily needs.  Exploiting this scarcity,
corporations are attempting to privatize water resources to profit from
people's vulnerability.

In America, corporations such as Coke, Pepsi, and Nestle are using
millions of dollars worth of misleading advertising to convince people
that bottled water is the only safe source of drinking water.  At the
same time, they're using their political clout to take control of water
resources away from local communities.  Through these efforts, they are
threatening the future of universally available safe drinking water in
this country and paving the way for corporate control of water on a
large scale.

To resist these efforts and protect our public water infrastructure,
we're organizing individuals, institutions, and local governments to
take the "Think Outside the Bottle" pledge and support tap water over
bottled water.

Since the water systems we depend on are maintained by our local elected
officials, the front lines of the battle over privatization are in our
state and local governments.  So far, Think Outside the Bottle has
persuaded the mayors of Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, and Newton to
take the Think Outside the Bottle pledge and move towards eliminating
bottled water usage in city government.  This spring, we'll be working
to persuade Deval Patrick to do the same and to advocate for protecting
universal access to drinking water in Massachusetts and nationwide.

To begin these efforts, we'll be holding a community meeting to discuss
this issue and lay plans for campaign actions this spring on Thursday,
Jan. 22 at the Corporate Accountability International offices in
downtown Boston.  All are welcome.

--
Rob Kerth
Think Outside the Bottle Campaign Field Organizer

rkerth at greencorps.org
617-747-4390