[act-ma] Mar 5, Thur, Skip Scheil: Eyewitness Gaza

Amy Hendrickson amyh at texnology.com
Fri Feb 6 05:42:10 PST 2009

For Gaza now very few people are coming. They face danger here to know the truth and tell about what they have seen. This is very important for us to feel sympathy, support and solidarity from others. Therefore Skip must show people what he has learned and not worry about opposition. The few people will gradually increase and eventually, knowing our truth, more people will support us Palestinians.

-Amal Sabawi, director of the Quaker Youth Program in Gaza (edited)

 "Eyewitness Gaza," a multi media presentation about Schiel's trip in January 2008, Thursday, March 5, 7 PM

617-876-3256, x 201 or 617-441-7756

At the University Lutheran Church in Harvard Square, Cambridge MA.

University Lutheran church, Cambridge, Harvard Square, 66 Winthrop St, Cambridge, MA 02138 (www.unilu.org)
(off JFK St, near Staples)

Photo exhibit: "Gaza is home to one & one-half million human beings: How do they live?"

January 15 - April 12, 2009

Hours: Mon - Thurs, 10 AM - 4, Sun 9 AM - 12

Until recently we didn't hear much about Gaza, a narrow sliver of land in Palestine-Israel that is home to 1.5 million Palestinians-some 75% of them refugees since 1948 when the state of Israel was founded, and 1967, after the Six Day War. With the carnage reported daily-rocket attacks by militants against Israeli civilians and Israel's air, sea, and land attacks on Gaza, as Israel has killed more than 1000 Palestinians, half of them civilians, with more than 4000 injuries-the region is now in the anguished hearts of many. Skip Schiel, a photojournalist from Cambridge Massachusetts, offers the exhibit and multi media presentations about Gaza.

Mr. Schiel has traveled and photographed in Israel-Palestine over a five-year period, usually three months each year.  Using photographs and stories, he will present his experiences from his last journey to the land of troubles in January 2008. The photographer visited the apparent site of the 2003 killing of Rachel Corrie, a young woman working with Palestinians in Rafah. He toured the area near the Egyptian border wall which four days later Gazans breached in a nonviolent attempt to break the siege. While in Gaza Mr. Schiel worked with the American Friends Service Committee youth program, teaching and photographing.

His professional life has been in filmmaking and photography, plus teaching of those topics. For 10 years he taught filmmaking at Boston College, and since 1990 he's taught photography thru the Cambridge Center for Adult Education and Harvard University's Landscape Institute. His photography ranges between  landscape, abstract, experimental, portraiture, and socially engaged. Which means he tries to link much of his photography to social issues. These have included American Indians, African Americans, poverty, environmental issues, and since 2003 Israel-Palestine. His photos have appeared in the Boston Globe, Christian Science Monitor, and Progressive Magazine, and are in the collections of Harvard University. He's had exhibitions in numerous venues across the country. Photos are on his website, teeksaphoto.org, and his blog, skipschiel.wordpress.com.

Free and open to the public. Donations accepted at the door for the January 28th show. Photographs on sale.

Please feel free to circulate.

+++++++++++

Skip Schiel (a.k.a Ein al-Nour)

9 Sacramento St
Cambridge MA 02138-1843 USA
skipschiel at gmail.com
617-441-7756, land line (not answering until Feb 15)
617-230-6314, mobile
Website: http://teeksaphoto.org
Blog: http://skipschiel.wordpress.com

To join my email list about my recent (2007-8) experiences in Palestine-Israel, along with postings related to that issue, please reply with SUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

"What I Have Learned So Far"

Meditation is old and honorable, so why should I
not sit, every morning of my life, on the hillside,
looking into the shining world?  Because, properly
attended to, delight, as well as havoc, is suggestion.
Can one be passionate about the just, the
ideal, the sublime, and the holy, and yet commit
to no labor in its cause?  I don't think so.

All summations have a beginning, all effect has a
story, all kindness begins with the sown seed.
Thought buds toward radiance.  The gospel of
light is the crossroads of -- indolence, or action.

Be ignited, or be gone.

-Mary Oliver

(Thanks to Wendy Geiger)