[act-ma] This Sunday 3/1: Say No to Coal, Yes to Clean Power

Loie Hayes loiehayes at verizon.net
Fri Feb 27 22:48:06 PST 2009

This Sunday, March 1, you have two opportunities to demonstrate your
opposition to coal power. Here are the details. If you'd like to carpool to
either from Boston, email me and I'll try to hook you up. Here are details:

12 noon at Salem Harbor Station (45 mins north of Boston)
Meeting place: 24 Fort Avenue, Sidewalk in front of the power plant.

Speakers: Avi Chomsky, Jeff Barz-Snell, and Charlie Harak

Contact: HealthLink - (781) 598-1115, salem at securegreenfuture.org

1 pm in Somerset (near Fall River) NRG & Brayton Point Plants (an hour
south).
We will assemble at the Park 'N Ride near Rockland Trust Bank (100 Slades
Ferry Avenue), Somerset, MA to hear speakers at 1:15PM.

The SPEAKERS will be:
David Dionne, Campaign to 'Clean Up Brayton Point', former Westport
Selectman
Dr. Jill Stein, Green Rainbow Party candidate for Secretary of State,
co-chair of the Green Rainbow Party; also active with Physicians for Social
Responsibility and Massachusetts Coalition for Healthy Communities.
John Andrews, President of Mass. Coalition for Healthy Communities,
Secretary of Green-Rainbow Party
Pauline Rodrigues, Massachusetts Coalition for Clean Air, Somerset resident
who lives near Somerset Station
Joe Carvalho, chair of 'Coalition for Responsible Siting of LNG Facilities',
Fall River, MA
Al Lima, Green Futures, Fall River, MA

>From 1:30PM - 3PM, after the rally, the group will demonstrate on the
Somerset side of the Brightman Street Bridge.

Contact:
David Dionne, Westport, 508-674-5194
Pauline Rodrigues, Somerset, 508-674-4242 /// Emily Johns, New Bedford,
508-994-2164

For more information, visit www.securegreenfuture.org/stopcoal, or contact
Eli Beckerman at 617-821-1453 or eli at securegreenfuture.org.

Please forward broadly!

Mass. Coalition for Healthy Communities
Stop Coal - Save our Future!

Rally to end the deadly use of coal and start building the secure green
future!

Dear Friend,

Please join us on Sunday, March 1st, as we rally at three MA coal plants,
standing with others across the country to ask that our state and nation end
the deadly use of coal and start building the secure green future.

The next day, authors/activists Wendell Berry and Bill McKibben will be
joined by thousands of people -- young and old alike -- in a mass act of
civil disobedience at the Washington DC coal plant that powers Congress with
dirty energy ( www.capitolclimateaction.com).

Please join us locally to help put an end to the unsustainable and
destructive use of coal and other fossil fuels that is driving us to the
brink of climate catastrophe, economic unraveling, war, disease and
ecological breakdown. (Click here to see why an immediate phase-out of coal
is essential to avert irreversible catastrophic climate change and more.)

Stand together for Healthy People, Peace & the Planet!

Stop investing in fossil fuels, Wall Street bail outs, and war!
Start building the sustainable, secure, post-carbon economy!

Download the flyer at http://www.securegreenfuture.org/stopcoal

Switching quickly from fossil fuels to clean, renewable energy is essential
to avert climate and economic catastrophe, pursue real peace and security,
create secure green jobs, and protect our health. A green economy based on
renewable energy and sustainable food is a triple win - for people, peace
and the planet.

Help spread the word and send the message to the powers-that-be that a rapid
phase-out of all coal-powered plants is needed NOW! We are planning legal
demonstrations, and ask that all participants respect the call to refrain
from civil disobedience on March 1.

The Stop Coal - Save our Future! rallies are being organized by the Mass.
Coalition for Healthy Communities (MCHC) / Secure Green Future (SGF), Toxics
Action Center, Clean Air Coalition, Clean Water Action, Green Action
Citizens v. Coal, HealthLink, and the MA Climate Coalition.