[act-ma] March 27, 28, Tufts, AFSC New England Conference

Amy Hendrickson amyh at texnology.com
Tue Mar 10 13:19:34 PDT 2009

Please Register Now!!
"New Strategies for the Obama Era: Are We Ready?"
A New England Wide Conference that brings together Young People with Older Activists concerned about Peace, the Climate Crisis, The Economic Crisis and Social Justice
March 27-28 @ Tufts University
Featured Speakers Include: Noam Chomsky, Bill Fletcher Jr., Phyllis Bennis, Emily Kawano, Arjun Makhijani, Raed Jarrar, Anna Galland, William Moomaw and Tom Hayden
You are invited to an exciting, and what we think will be a truly remarkable, New England-wide peace, social justice and environmental sustainability conference. It is being organized by the American Friends Service Committee and Tufts University's Peace and Justice Studies Program, and is co-sponsored by United for a Fair Economy, City Life/Vida Urbana, Teen Empowerment, United for Justice with Peace, Mass. Jobs with Justice, The Unitarian Universalist Service Committee and Mass. Peace Action. It will be held at Tufts University, Friday March 27 and Saturday the 28th, with a youth caucus continuing into Sunday the 29th.
Please note: For the Bill Fletcher and Noam Chomsky plenary session on Friday evening at 6pm, the first 250 people to register will get into the main hall with Bill and Noam. Those who register later will have the pleasure of seeing them on video in the next room. On Saturday we have a bigger hall so we will all be together with the speakers.
While we feel a sense of relief and achievement with Barack Obama's election and fledgling presidency, we also know with the economic crisis, the escalating war in Afghanistan and Pakistan, the ongoing war in Iraq and growing military budget, as well as the rapidly increasing dangers of global warming, there is a lot that our popular movements must do if we are to have the change we need.

As you can see from our list of speakers and resource people, we have assembled an extraordinary range of people to work with us in providing essential background information and charting strategies for peace, economic recovery and justice, and creation of a sustainable environment. Friday evening discussion sessions and a wide range of Saturday focused workshops (see below) will complement in depth plenary sessions Friday evening, Saturday morning and Saturday afternoon.

It is also worth noting that this will be an inter-generational conference, bringing together students and young activists as well as those with years of experience.

Detailed information about the conference, including a registration form, can be found at http://www.afsc.org/newstrategies2009

Join us if you can.

Joseph Gerson
American Friends Service Committee
Workshop speakers & resource people include:
Foreign & Domestic Policies for Real Security: Alternatives to the "War on Terror" and 21st Century Imperialism
Joseph Gerson & Zia Mian
The Majority Agenda: From Concept to Action
Mark Solomon, Suren Moodliar and Paul Shannon
Building a Youth and Student Movement for the Obama Years
Anna Galland
Counter Recruiting
Sam Diener, Robert Dove & Alex Fried
Economic Crisis 101: Background for Understanding the Causes, Consequences and opportunities of the U.S. and Global Economic Crisis
Emily Kawano
Funding the New New Deal: From the Pentagon Budget to the People's Budget
Greg Speeter and Jo Comerford
Introduction to the Peace Movement 101: History, Overview, and Effectiveness
Paul Joseph
Introduction to the Environmental Movement 101: History and Overview
Dale Bryan
Labor's Agenda for the Obama Years
Russ Davis
No Nukes: The Dangers of Nuclear Power Plans, Alternatives and Popular Movements
Erin Placey, Others TBA
Is It Plausible to Reclaim Our Communities Within the Framework of a Green Economy?
Eduardo Suarez, Darlene Lambos, Kalila Barnett, Jon Weissman
Bridging the Gaps: Models for Inter-Racial, Multi-Class Organizing for Justice and Peace
Mike Prokosch Daryl Wright, Becky Pierce
For a Non-Nuclear, Non-CO2 Future
Arjun Makhijani
G.I. Organizing and Resistance
IVAW & MFSO
Israel, Palestine & the Arab World - Background, Alternatives and Advocacy
Phyllis Bennis, Martha Yager & Omar Baddar
Is a Humane & Just Immigration Reform Possible During the Economic Crisis?  Immigrant Organizers Speak Out. Panel & Discussion
Patty Montes, Jenneatte Huezo, Gabriel Camacho
Influencing Beltway Politicians & the Democratic Party
Tim Carpenter, Shelagh Foreman
Fighting Foreclosures: Keeping families in their home
James Brooks, Melanie Griffiths
Lessons for Today from the New Deal
Larry Friedman
New Technologies for Peace & Justice Organizing
Anna Galland and Suren Moodliar
Obama and the Bomb: 21st Century Nuclear Weapons Dangers and the Promise of Abolition
Joseph Gerson
>From Activism to Organizing: How to Build Youth Power
Camilo Viveiros
Understanding and Resisting the Continuing Iraq War
Raed Jarrar, Nancy Lessin and Paul Shannon
.