[act-ma] The Third Chapter, Cambridge Forum, March 25

Cambridge Forum camforum at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 18 12:19:26 PDT 2009

Cambridge Forum
 3 Church Street ● Cambridge, MA 02138

THE THIRD CHAPTER:
Passion, Risk and Adventure in the 25 Years after 50
7:30 p.m., Wednesday, MARCH 25, 2009
Cambridge Forum
3 Church Street
Cambridge, MA 02138

Free and Open to the Public

Press Release

On March 25 at Cambridge Forum, Sara Lawrence Lightfoot, will discuss a major cultural shift in how older people are re-defining the word  “retirement”, in her new book, The Third Chapter: Passion, Risk and Adventure in the 25 Years after 50.

Sara Lawrence Lightfoot, one of America’s preeminent sociologists traveled for two years speaking to people in their fifties, sixties and seventies—and found, that despite living through a time of declining mental and physical capacity, all had accomplished much in building whole new lives.  What did she discover that helps us all live better?  How can we all take advantage of this  “Third Chapter” in our lives?.  In a person’s life’s, could the years between 50 and 75 be the most transformative and generative?

Sara Lawrence Lightfoot, a sociologist, is the Emily Hargroves Fisher Professor of Education at Harvard University.  She is the author of nine books.  In 1984, she received the prestigious MacArthur Fellowship.  In 1993, she was awarded Harvard’s George Ledlie Prize for research that makes “the most valuable contribution to science” and is to “the benefit of mankind”.  She is the first African American woman in Harvard’s history to have an endowed professorship named in her honor.

Book signing, courtesy of Harvard Bookstore, follows the program.

Cambridge Forum is taped and edited for public radio broadcast.  Edited CDs are available to the public by contacting 617-495-2727.   Select forums can be viewed in their entirety on demand by visiting our website at www.cambridgeforum.org and clicking on the WGBH Forum Network.

Cambridge Forum
3 Church Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Phone:  617-495-2727
email:  mailto:director at cambridgeforum.org
website:  http://www.cambridgeforum.org

"Bringing People together to talk again . . ."