[act-ma] 3/25 Please note room change: Understanding Palestine and Israel: History Matters (Wed)

Janet janet at communitychangeinc.org
Mon Mar 23 07:47:51 PDT 2009

   Community Change Inc.

Brown Bag Anti-Racism Discussion Series 2009

Changing the Public Discourse around Race

  			PLEASE NOTE ROOM CHANGE  OF THIS EVENT FROM 605 TO FIRST FLOOR
CONFERENCE ROOM
AT 14 BEACON STREET

Come meet some of Boston’s top authorities on the Palestine/Israel
conflict, learn the history, ask questions, and hear stories from the
occupied territories in our series Understanding Palestine and Israel.

UNDERSTANDING PALESTINE AND ISRAEL:

HISTORY MATTERS

The first in our series, HISTORY MATTERS will cover the origin and
evolution of the conflict, highlighting the pre-and post 1948 war up
to the present, including the emergence of Hamas’s dispute with the
Palestinian Authority and its Fatah component. The two-state and one-
state solutions will be explained and evaluated. Woven into the talk
will be the impact of the conflict on the development of racism and
discriminatory acts against Arabs and Muslims in this country. PLEASE
NOTE THIS EVENT WILL BE VIDEOTAPED.

March 25, 2009 (Wednesday)

12 noon – 1:30 pm

Community Change Library on Racism

First floor Conference Room

14 Beacon Street

Boston MA

Presenter: ELAINE C. HAGOPIAN: Professor Emerita of Sociology,
Simmons College, Boston. She was Visiting Professor and Distinguished
Lecturer at the American University of Beirut and the American
University in Cairo respectively. She served with UNESCO and UNICEF
in the Middle East. She was awarded two Fulbright-Hays Faculty
research Grants for research in the Middle East.

  						SEATING IS LIMITED: RSVP REQUIRED (617) 523-0555 or
janet at communitychangeinc.org

The current public discourse around race assumes that we live in a
color-blind society where the American Dream is attainable by all
individuals who work hard enough. This deeply flawed discourse
obscures the racial disparities in employment, education, criminal
justice, housing, health care, etc. and provides a powerful but
faulty rationale for leaving our systems and institutions the way
they are. The issues presented at the Community Change Brown Bag
Discussion Series are concrete examples of the structural racism that
affects the lives of all, most acutely communities of color. The 2009
Series places these issues in their social/historical context and
gives attendees a truthful discourse, as well as ways to put that
discourse into action, in order to challenge institutional and
systemic racism.

Community Change, Inc, 617-523-0555 http://www.communitychangeinc.org