[act-ma] April 15, 22, & 29, The Ethics of Eating, Wednesdays, 7-9PM

John Lampert goodmanjl at comcast.net
Sat Mar 28 10:52:02 PDT 2009

>From John Lampert:

           ETHICAL SOCIETY OF BOSTON

The School of Ethics will be presenting a series of programs on three Wednesday nights in April, the 15th,22nd and 29th from 7-9pm at the Workmen's Circle, 1762 Beacon Street, Brookline. The fee for the entire program is $30.

THE ETHICS OF EATING: THE ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL CONNECTIONS OF THE FOOD THAT WE EAT

Over the past hundred years there has been a dramatic change in the way that we grow, package, market and prepare our food. Today we hear of issues of such as genetically engineered foods, declining seed diversity, the obesity epidemic, famine, the labeling of organic foods, food safety and more. The discussion will focus on the ecology of food, the ethics of food production and the food revolution of tomorrow.

The series will be presented by Julie Vallimont, an educator at the Harvard Museum of Natural History and a graduate student in Environmental Management at Harvard University.

The Ethical Society of Boston is part of the humanistic movement inspired by the ideal that the highest aim of human life is working to create a more humane society. We believe in the capacity and responsibility of human beings to act in their personal relationships and in the larger community to help create a better world. Our commitment is to the worth and dignity of the individual, and to treating each human being so as to bring out the best in him or her, and thereby to bring out the best in ourselves. ESB is affiliated with the American Ethical Union (AEU).

Go to www.bostonethical.org for more information