[act-ma] Saturday 4/11: Alliance for Democracy Regional Conference, Newton MA

Amy Hendrickson amyh at texnology.com
Wed Apr 1 12:19:26 PDT 2009

              Please Forward Widely!

                    Join us! Regional conference Saturday, April 11!

                    ALLIANCE for DEMOCRACY
                    Northeast Region

                    Citizen Action 2009
                    Maintaining Democracy:
                    Undermining the Corporate Agenda from the Bottom Up

                    Dear Members and friends of Alliance for Democracy, Northeast Region,

                    It has been a long while since we have convened together with fellow members. Let's share our deep and ongoing interest in advancing the many avenues of democracy, and take actions concerning the forces that block realization of our precious democratic heritage.

                    Join us, to hear from your fellow AfDers and kindred allies about their worthwhile projects. These people are engaging in the actual nuts and bolts of our struggle, often working with low visibility. We will meet to learn ways to support these efforts and even move beyond, as we enjoy good food and music and mingle with our colleagues.

                    SATURDAY APRIL 11, 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM
                    Walker Center, 144 Hancock Street at Grove Street
                    Newton, Massachusetts

                    (Exit 22 off Rt I-95, 0.5 miles from Riverside Green Line station. Click here for a map.)

                    9:00 a.m.   Coffee, Registration ($15, early-bird rate of $5 by April 4)

                    12 noon     Lunch, $12 with vegetarian option

                    5:30 p.m.   Dinner, $14 with vegetarian option (Dinner is timed to accomodate those attending David Griffin's talk about 9/11---7pm at BU, Morse Auditorium)

                    CALL 781-894-1179  (AfD National Office, Waltham) to REGISTER NOW!

                    We look forward to seeing you there.

                    David Whitty & Ruth Weizenbaum
                    Alliance for Democracy, NE Regional Representatives

                    Program:

                    We will hear from the following speakers, and engage in dialogues about their topics:

                      a.. NANCY LEE WOOD (Bristol Community College):  Overview and Resource Depletion
                      b.. JILL STEIN (MCHC: Massachusetts Coalition for Healthy Communities): Taking on the Climate Crisis -- Local, State, and National
                      c.. GARRET WHITNEY (Concord Climate Action Network) The 350ppm Campaign
                      d.. Sustainable Community Initiatives: Reports from Aperion and Green Drinks of Rhode Island
                      e.. MARY ROSSBOROUGH (Salem State College Lifelong Learning Institute): The Economy -- Pitfalls and New Directions
                      f.. DAVE LEWIT (Dispatch): Short- and Long-Range Thinking and Action
                      g.. PAT McSWEENEY (Citizens for an Informed Community): Militarism as a Tool for the Corporate Agenda
                      h.. Radio hosts STAN ROBINSON & JOHN GREBE: The Local and Larger Independent-Media Presence
                      i.. KATIE ROBBINS (Healthcare-NOW!): State Legislative Initiatives
                      j.. BARBARA CLANCY (AfD Health Care Campaign):  Action Tools
                      k.. TONI SERAFINI (AfD) & SHERYL CRAWFORD (Mass Vote): Electoral Issues

                    Additional Media Initiatives:

                      a.. COMMUNITY SHOWINGS/ACTIONS: David Whitty (Town of Ashland), Joan Ecklein (Women's International League for Peace & Freedom: WILPF),  Sue Gracey (Boston Bio-Weapons Lab, WILPF), The Raging Grannies
                      b.. COMMUNITY CABLE PROJECT: "OTHER VOICES": Ruth Weizenbaum(Overview with distribution team), Jane Lynn (Marlboro), Michael Bleiweiss (Methuen), Charlie Phillips (Concord), Bob Datz (Brimfield), Cornelia Sullivan (Boston), Joanna Herlihy (Cambridge & Somerville): editing  & filming work, Leo Immonen (Wrentham)
                      c.. LETTER-WRITING
                      d.. WEB OPTIONS
                      e.. NEWSLETTERS

                    As a member or supporter of the Alliance for Democracy, you'll receive a monthly e-mail newsletter to update you on our work and alert you to ways you can act to support it. We will also send you periodic "Action Alerts" that pertain to our campaigns and those of allied groups.

                    If you'd like to unsubscribe from our e-mail newsletter or the Action Alerts, please reply to this e-mail with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line or click on the link below. Thanks for your ongoing interest and support of the Alliance!

                    Alliance for Democracy
                    PO Box 540115, Waltham, MA 02454
                    781-894-1179 * www.thealliancefordemocracy.org * afd at thealliancefordemocracy.org

                    Click here to unsubscribe