[act-ma] (5/28) Midnight Notes: Promissory Notes: From Crisis to Commons 7pm (Th)

alexander at endless-knot.com alexander at endless-knot.com
Thu May 21 14:19:00 PDT 2009

The Midnight Notes Collective presents:
Promissory Notes: From Crisis To Commons
Thu, May 28, 7pm at the Lucy Parsons Center

Everyone seems to be experiencing some sort of crisis these days.  But
which
crisis are you experiencing, where does it fit into a trajectory of
previous
crises, and what are paths onward?

Promissory Notes: From Crisis to Commons, a new publication by
Midnight Notes
and Friends, explores these questions.

For 30 years Midnight Notes has evaluated the ways in which class
struggle has
shaped capitalism, capitalist efforts to ensure the working class is
productive
for capital, and ways in which working people have attempted to create
a world
without capitalism.

Promissory Notes has 5 parts:  what the current crisis is and is not; an
analysis of previous crises and capitalist responses to them;
capitalist and
working class responses to the current crisis; the "constitution of
the commons
in the crisis"; and "characteristics of revolutionary struggles that
move
beyond capital."

Please join members of Midnight Notes as they present and discuss
their new
publication.

Promissory Notes: From Crisis to Commons is available as an affordably
priced
pamphlet at the Lucy Parsons Center or can be found (along with other
Midnight
Notes publications) at http://midnightnotes.org/
If you are able to read the pamphlet before the event that would be
great (but
it certainly isn't necessary).

Lucy Parsons Center
549 Columbus Avenue
Boston's South End
Telephone: (617) 267-6272
Email: lucyparsons at tao.ca
web: http://lucyparsons.org/

+++ What are we?

The Lucy Parsons Center, Boston's collectively run
radical bookstore features an extensive selection
of radical books and magazines, internet access,
space for talks and meetings, and free movies
Wednesday nights.  Located at 549 Columbus Avenue
in the South End the store is just down from Mass
Ave and easily reached from the Mass Ave and
Symphony T stations and the #1 bus.  Regular store
hours 12-9pm weekdays and 1-7 on weekends.

+++ Volunteer

Volunteering at LPC isn't just about donating your
labor. All of the Lucy Parsons Center volunteers
contribute to all aspects of running the store and
can take part in all decisions in how it's run.
If you know anything about grant writing, web
design, or any other skills you think would be
useful, or if you just want to be part of this
great radical project, please email us at
volunteer at lucyparsons.org

+++ Use our space for radical stuff

One of the most important apects of the Lucy
Parsons Center is providing a community meeting
place for radical activities.  If you want to host
an event, please send an email to us at
events at lucyparsons.org.  Make sure to give enough
notice so that we can approve the event at our
bimonthly meetings.

If you have a group that needs a space to have
regular meetings, just come to the bookstore and
fill out a space request form.  Again, make sure to
allow time for approval by the collective.

+++ Donate MONEY!

Although we are proud to demonstrate that an
all volunteer collective can survive in capitalist
United States, we can certainly use your help.
The majority of our income comes from book
sales and most of that goes straight to pay our
landlord and bills. Without support from our
community, we could not continue to function.

A regular monthly or annual donation makes a
real difference to us and enables us to improve
the center and its offerings.

Please consider becoming a monthly supporter with
a regular monthly donation of whatever you are able.
Even $5 a month makes a big difference. And don't
forget we have 501(c)3 status, so all donations to the
LPC are tax deductible.

You can donate online through Network For Good:
https://www.networkforgood.org/donation/ExpressDonation.aspx?ORGID2=043159201

Whatever you can give helps us to keep fighting even
donating the change of your purchase can make a
difference.