[act-ma] 6/15 Boston's National Assembly Organizing Committee (Mon)

Matthew Andrews peopleunite at verizon.net
Sun Jun 7 10:35:36 PDT 2009

Hello everyone,

Antiwar activists from around the city have come together to form
Boston's National Assembly Organizing Committee.  Our goal is to
maximize participation in this summer's National Assembly to End the
Iraq and Afghanistan Wars and Occupations being organized in
Pittsburgh, PA.  You can read about the conference
atwww.natassembly.org/.

This conference is the second of its kind.  Last year we had four
hundred people meeting in Cleveland, OH.  There will be great
workshops and speakers but the best part of the event is the assembly
itself, when we all get together and debate the future of the antiwar
movement.  Anyone can make motions.  We function democratically with
one person, one vote.  Rather than differing leadership to the
"professionals" this conference is a chance for the grassroots of our
movement to talk and be heard.

This year's National Assembly will be held July 10-12 in Pittsburgh,
PA.  Our Organizing Committee is trying to decide what transportation
we should organize.  Some people will fly or take the train.  If you'd
like to ride with us in a van or bus, please let us know ASAP!  Also,
please give us some idea of when you want to leave and get back (Some
of us will want to travel overnight, after work on Friday; others will
want to get there in time for Friday evening events, or just a good
night's sleep).  Please email your preferences to Marilyn Levin at MarilynL at alumni.neu.edu
.

Not sure if the National Assembly is for you?  Don't worry, we're
preparing Bostonians to go by putting together a series of workshops
to discuss the issues and how the National Assembly will work.  We're
even hosting a barbeque to raise money for the trip!  Our next
planning meeting is Monday, June 15th, 7:00pm, at Encuentro 5 (33
Harrison Ave. 5th Floor).  Put it on your calendars now!

In Solidarity,
Matthew Andrews

PS.  If you can't come but would like to make a contribution to help
low income activists get to the National Assembly, you can write a
check to "Stop the Wars Coalition" and put "NA travel" in the memo.
Checks should be sent to:

Stop the Wars Coalition
c/o Encuentro 5
33 Harrison Ave., 5th Floor