[act-ma] Cindy Sheehan reminder

Nate Goldshlag nateg at pobox.com
Sun Jun 28 09:50:38 PDT 2009

A final reminder:

My apologies if you get this on multiple email lists.  The Smedley
Butler Brigade of Veterans For Peace will sponsor a talk by well known
peace activist and Gold Star mother Cindy Sheehan on Monday June 29 at
7:30 PM at the Regent Theatre, 7 Medford St. in Arlington.  The event
is free but there will be a requested donation to cover costs.  Nobody
will be turned away if they cannot afford or do not want to donate.
The event is co-sponsored by Military Families Speak Out, 9/11 Truth,
Citizens for an Informed Community, and United for Justice with Peace
(UJP).

We are thrilled to present Cindy, who will speak on the topic of her
latest book Myth America: 10 Greatest Myths of the Robber Class and
the Case for Revolution.

Cindy’s antiwar activism began after her son Casey was killed in Iraq
in April 2004.  After the death of her son, Cindy listened to then
President George W. Bush telling the nation that those killed in Iraq
died for a "noble cause."  Cindy had a simple and direct question for
George W. Bush:  "What noble cause did my son die for?"

She took her question to President Bush while he was vacationing in
August, 2005, and created a makeshift camp by the side of the road
near Bush's Crawford Ranch.  Soon afterward, the media began referring
to her camp as "Camp Casey" and to Cindy as "Peace Mom".  Over the
next few weeks, thousands of supporters, including members of
Congress, notable actors and singers, and civil rights activists,
visited Camp Casey.

Cindy quit the Democratic Party after the Democratic-controlled
Congress authorized continued funding for the war in Iraq, and ran for
Congress against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in 2008 as an
independent.  She finished a distant second but ahead of the
Republican candidate.  She was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in
2005.

A flyer for this event can be found at http://tinyurl.com/mfkale and a
map of the area can be found at http://tinyurl.com/mgg583

Please spread the word far and wide about this rare opportunity to
hear Cindy Sheehan speak.

Peace,
Nate Goldshlag
Coordinator, Smedley Butler Brigade, Chapter 9 of Veterans For Peace