[act-ma] The Radical Organizing Conference Summer Institute – 2009

Camilo Viveiros camiloviveiros at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 18:03:35 PDT 2009

The Radical Organizing Conference Summer Institute – 2009
(apologies for repeat postings) please spread the word

Supporters of the Radical Organizing Conference (ROC) process are
pleased to announce the ROC Summer Institute. Since 2003, there have
been four ROCs. At each one, participants have talked about how we can
do our work in a way that brings about radical change (gets to the
root causes of problems). In that spirit, the ROC Summer Institute
will offer short courses that allow participants to think even more
deeply about the “big picture” and learn new skills as they continue
their practical work for justice. Please join us for one (or more!) of
these exciting workshops.

Circle the workshops you are interested in. Then fill out the form on
page 5. Keep pages 1-4 for your reference and send page 5 to City
Life, 284 Amory Street, JP, MA 02130. Or send an email to
radicalorganizingconference at gmail.com and tell us which classes you
want to take. Registration is not required (except for the Art Tour),
but we would appreciate hearing from you if possible.

Class and Race
Tuesday, July 14, 6:00 to 8 pm, at CLVU, 284 Amory St. (in the Brewery), JP
Historic movements have arisen in the United States in response to
oppression based on class and race.  What is the basis of these
oppressions?  How have these movements united, how and why have they
been divided?  We will discuss these issues using a few readings,
group interactions, and reflections of participants.
Facilitator: Steve Meacham (Organizer) City Life

Protest Singing
Practices will be July 9 from 6-7 at CLVU, 284 Amory St. (in the Brewery), JP
Karin Parker, an accomplished jazz singer, will organize a group to
practice several protest songs.  The group will perform the songs at
the City Life fundraiser July 11 and perhaps at subsequent events.
Facilitator: Karin Parker kparker at clvu.org

Exploring Youth Liberation
4 Mondays, starting July 13, 20, and 27 from 6-8 at Spontaneous
Celebrations, 45 Danforth St., JP
Join this group of (mostly) young people and youth workers who will be
reading excerpts of The Teenage Liberation Handbook by Grace
Llewellyn.
Contact: Cynthia Peters cyn.peters at gmail.com 617-524-3693

Economic Refugees - Migration and the Growing Divide
Thursday, July 9, 6-8:30 at CLVU, 284 Amory St. (in the Brewery), JP
What are the facts about immigration? What is pushing workers and
families to leave their homeland and emigrate to the U.S.? What do
foreign-born and domestic workers have in common? What about
immigration “reforms”? Learn about ways to close the political and
social divides that pit workers and communities against each other.
Facilitators: Jeannette Huezo (UFE), with help from Sarah Horsley

Identifying the Local Power Structure
Meets Saturday, July 11, 1-3 at the CLVU office, 284 Amory St. (in the
Brewery), JP
This workshop offers power analysis tools. 1) power mapping: this
process is about building grassroots power as well as doing a power
analysis of targets; and 2) power/political landscaping exercise: a
participatory/collective process that can be used to illustrate and
monitor shifts in power during a campaign/organizing project.
Contact: Camilo, camiloviveiros at yahoo.com, 508-674-7146

Health and Fitness for the struggle /Bike Riding
3 Saturdays -- July 11, 25, and August 1; meet at the CLVU office, 284
Amory St. (in the Brewery), JP
Two sessions on nutrition, one on diseases we face as we get older,
one on physical fitness and training programs. The training session
will involve actual exercise.
Facilitator: Paula Taylor, physical trainer, bank tenant

Thirty Years of Resistance in El Salvador
Monday, July 13, from 6-9 [location to be determined; in Spanish and English]
Workshop featuring the past 30 years of struggle and recent election
win in El Salvador. Equipo Maiz will broaden  the discussion beyond El
Salvador, as they focus on capitalism and the economic crisis.
Facilitators: Jeannette Huezo, Carlos Rosales, and Equipo Maiz (a
Salvadoran popular education group)

"Very Young Girls" film screening & discussion
Monday, July 13, Location: TBD
"Very Young Girls" is an expose of human trafficking that follows 13-
and 14-year-old American girls as they are seduced, abused, and sold
on New York’s streets by pimps, and treated as adult criminals by
police. The film identifies hope for these girls in the organization
GEMS (www.gems-girls.org), a recovery center founded and run by Rachel
Lloyd, herself a survivor of sexual exploitation. The film was
co-produced by Lloyd.
Contact: caroljg at gmail.com

Political posters for public spaces
Tuesday, July 14, 6:00-8 at CLVU, 284 Amory St. (in the Brewery), JP
Creating images and word phrases to bring political issues into public
spaces.  We’ll talk about issues that affect us and issues of justice
and how to present them visually.  We’ll look at examples of existing
public posters.  We will create our own posters, take them out and put
them up!
Facilitators: Katherine Mallory and Denise Baudet, Amherst artists

Street Law Clinic: Stop and Search
Wed., July 15, 6:00-9 at CLVU, 284 Amory St. (in the Brewery), JP
This workshop gives participants a better understanding of their
constitutional rights when they have been stopped by the police.
Participants discuss how they can respond to police searches and what
they can do when their rights have been violated. This clinic will be
conducted by an attorney from the MA Chapter of the National Lawyers
Guild.
Learn what to do if the police stop you on the street and want to
search you. What are your rights?
Contact: Robert at presspull at graffiti.net

Screening of Documentary “At Home in Utopia”
Thursday, July 16; reception with food, 6-8 at Connolly branch
library, 433 Centre St., JP
“At Home in Utopia brings back to life a lost world of American
radicalism. Through the history of a cooperative housing project
founded by New York Jewish communists, it reconstructs two generations
of political activists who sought not only to build a new society but
to live out their ideals then and there.”
Facilitator: The director Michal Goldman will be present to lead a
panel discussion following the screening.

Radical Organizing Methods
3 Sundays, 5-7, July 19, July 26, and August 2, at CAAS in Somerville,
66-70 Union Square #104, Somerville
We will look at what makes a radical organizing method by examining
winnability, strategy/tactics, coalitions, spirituality, building a
majority movement, role of political education, and the effectiveness
of well known organizing methods such as 1-1’s, story-telling,
relationship-building.  The format will be group discussion.
Factilitator: Steve Meacham, CLVU; host Rachel Beddick, CAAS

Go Green! Green jobs & the greening of our economy: What does it mean for us?
Thursdays, July 23 and 30 and August 6 from 6-8 at ACE office, 2181
Washington St. in Dudley Sq.
Facilitated by Mela and REEP youth organizers with support from ACE staff
Contact: Adam Machson Carter amachson at gmail.com

Financial Literacy.
Thursday, July 28, 6:00-8 at CLVU, 284 Amory St., and then one Saturday TBD
Grass roots activists from City Life will present this two-part
training in financial literacy issues with a radical spin.
Facilitator: Melonie Griffiths, former bank tenant and City Life
tenant organizer

"Who you calling a b*tch?"