[act-ma] 8/23 -- Invitation to Sponsor the 4th Sacco & Vanzetti Memorial March and Rally in Boston

Sergio Reyes sreyes1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 16 18:24:12 PDT 2009

INVITATION TO SPONSOR THE 4TH SACCO AND VANZETTI MEMORIAL MARCH AND RALLY, AUGUST 23, 2009

On August 23, 2009 we will march for the fourth time on the streets of Boston to remind people of how justice was crucified in the case of Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti. The Boston City Council itself will pass a resolution introduced by Councilor Chuck Turner to designate August 23rd. as "Sacco and Vanzetti Memorial Day" in the City of Boston.

Prof. Howard Zinn summarized the importance of actively remembering the martyrdom of Sacco and Vanzetti as follows: "The case of Sacco and Vanzetti revealed, in its starkest terms, that the noble words inscribed above our courthouses, “Equal Justice Before the Law,” have always been a lie. Those two men, the fish peddler and the shoemaker, could not get justice in the American system, because justice is not meted out equally to the poor and the rich, the native born and the foreign born, the orthodox and the radical, the white and the person of color. And while injustice may play itself out today more subtly and in more intricate ways than it did in the crude circumstances of the Sacco and Vanzetti case, its essence remains."

This case touches upon many of our contemporary struggles against the war, for migrant workers rights, for freedom of expression, against the oppression of the state, for equal justice for all, against racism, against the death penalty, for the radical change of society, but above all for human rights and human dignity.

As we march we would like to invite all who yern for social justice to join in. Please consider endorsing this event by adding your organization name, members and whatever financial contribution you can afford toward the expenses of organizing the event.

We will meet in Copley Square to march through downtown Boston to the Paul Revere Mall in the North End, where we will conclude with a rally.

Please let us know as soon as possible if you will endorse the Sacco and Vanzetti Memorial March and Rally this year.

In the struggle,

Sergio Reyes
for the Sacco and Vanzetti Commemoration Society

Contributions can be made to the order of the SVCS and mailed to P.O. Box 381323
Cambridge, MA 02238-1323

Telephone: 617-290-5614
Email: info at saccoandvanzetti.org

www.saccoandvanzetti.org