[act-ma] September Sunday Forums

Commchurch.org info at commchurch.org
Wed Sep 2 08:29:43 PDT 2009

COMMUNITY CHURCH OF BOSTON
"A Peace & Justice Congregation since 1920"

SEPTEMBER 2009 SUNDAY FORUMS: BACK TO SCHOOL MONTH!

September 13th -- JASON LYDON
"Homecoming Sunday"

After a summer vacation from formal Sunday services we will come back
together to celebrate and share in new beginnings. Please bring water from
your journeys or from your faucet at home so we can tell stories of our
personal growth and change over the summer.  As we are focusing this
September, again, on issues around education Jason's talk will examine some
alternatives to standard education such as unschooling, vocational programs,
and homeschooling.  Learning does not have to happen the same for everyone.
Education is a political and spiritual practice that leads us to becoming
more whole beings. We will use this month to reflect on this.

=============

September 20th -- PRESS PASS TV
"Standardized Failure"

Press Pass TV is a youth adult partnership organization whose mission is to
produce socially responsible video journalism, which promotes a more diverse
media, empowers communities and increases civic engagement. They work with
middle and high school students to create news stories that tell of
community power and connect issues in our community to root causes. By
providing an alternative to the repetitive one-sidedness of mainstream
media, they connect community members to pathways for action.

In Standardized Failure, Press Pass TV partnered with the City School to go
inside the dangerous affects that the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment
System has on youth and schools. They also just created a discussion and
action guide to accompany the video. They will use both to discuss solutions
and next steps.

=============

September 27th -- MARTINA M. CRUZ
"Working Families and the Economic Crisis"

Martina Cruz is a member of the Lawrence School Committee and active with
Latinos United for Justice. She is an endorser of Welcoming Massachusetts, a
pro-immigrant organization working toward just and humane immigration
policies. In 2006, she was one of eleven Latino elected officials from the
U.S. chosen as international observers during the presidential election in
Venezuela.

Since she came to the U.S. nearly 25 years ago, Martina has led a life of
activism based on Liberation Theology. Because of her efforts organizing for
the rights of immigrants, women & workers and against war, she was asked to
run for School Committee. She won and now continues her social justice work
there and "in the streets", where she assists indigent families in crisis to
access services for children with mental health issues. Martina's talk will
focus on Lawrence, the only majority Latino city in New England, and on
jobs, services & education.

=============

DIRECTIONS/PARKING

The Community Church is located at 565 Boylston Street in Copley Square,
between Dartmouth and Clarendon Streets. Parking is available on Sunday
mornings at the Back Bay Garage (entrances on Clarendon Street or St. James
Ave.). We can provide a sticker to affix to your parking receipt and you
will be charged only $3 until 1:30pm.

By public transportation, take the Green line to Copley or take the Orange
line to Back Bay station. Community Church is a 2-4 minute walk from either
station.

=============

A PEACE AND JUSTICE CONGREGATION SINCE 1920

The Community Church of Boston is a free community of human beings united
for the study and practice of universal religion, seeking to apply ethical
ideals to individual life and the democratic and cooperative principle to
all forms of social and economic life.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT US

Jason Lydon, Congregational Director
Community Church of Boston