[act-ma] 10/7 Unraveling the Right-Wing Attacks on Obama (Wed)

Janet janet at communitychangeinc.org
Mon Sep 21 08:09:32 PDT 2009

Community Change, Inc.

Brown Bag Anti-Racism Discussion Series 2009

Changing the Public Discourse around Race

Unraveling the Right-Wing Attacks on Obama

  Obama is the target. Racial fears, economic anxieties, and gender
unease are the triggers shooting down progressive policies that seek
equality and fairness.

  While keeping our eyes on the prize of universal quality
healthcare, we must also prevent right-wing populism as a social
movement from spinning out of control

  Since centrist Democrats are selling us out, it is time for labor
and community organizers to turn up the heat. We should defend Obama
against the vicious and racist attacks from the reactionary political
right; vigorous social movements pull political movements and
politicians in their direction—not the other way around. We need to
raise some hell in the streets and in the suites.

  October 7, 2009
12 noon – 1:30 pm
Community Change Library on Racism
14 Beacon Street, Room 605
Boston MA 02108

Presenter: CHIP BERLET, senior analyst at Political Research
Associates in Somerville and co-author of Right-Wing Populism in
America: Too Close for Comfort. He recently was interviewed on NPR’s
Fresh Air by Terry Gross and on Democracy Now by Amy Goodman. Chip
will base his talk on his new report: Toxic to Democracy: Conspiracy
Theories, Demonization, & Scapegoating.
  Please bring your lunch. Beverages will be provided. $5
contribution requested. RESERVATIONS REQUIRED! RSVP (617-523-0555 or
janet at communitychangeinc.org.)

Community Change, Inc. 617-523-0555 www.communitychangeinc.org