[act-ma] Amnesty International meeting Tuesday, 10/13: Special focus on human rights in Libya

kelly turley kelly at amnesty133.org
Fri Oct 9 13:45:31 PDT 2009

The Legacy of Fathi Eljahmi and the State of Human Rights in
Libya: A Presentation by Mohamed Eljahmi

Please join us for the October meeting of Amnesty International Local Group
133, featuring a presentation on human rights in Libya.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009
7 p.m. - 9 p.m.

Amnesty International Northeast Regional Office

58 Day Street, Suite 409
Somerville, MA 02144
(Two blocks away from the Davis Square stop on the Red Line)

Mohamed Eljahmi, activist and friend of Group 133, will join us to talk
about the legacy of his late brother/prisoner of conscience, Fathi Eljahmi.
For several years, the Northeast Region of Amnesty International USA worked
for Fathi's release, and had adopted his case as the region's Special Focus
Case. In spite of Fathi's death in May, his work for human rights in Libya
and call to action live on. Mohamed will reflect on Fathi's life and work,
and talk to us about what we can do to promote respect for human rights in
Libya.

Please follow this link for a recent article in *Adbusters* on Fathi:
https://www.adbusters.org/magazine/86/life-lived.html

 Our meeting will be at the Amnesty International Northeast Regional Office
in Davis Square. The first half-hour of the meeting will be dedicated to
letter writing on urgent human rights issues. We also will talk about the
group's upcoming events and ongoing work focused on human rights in Burma,
Guatemala, and Sri Lanka.

We hope to see you there!

Peace,
Kelly Turley