[act-ma] Wed. Dec. 2, 5 p.m. Hey Harvard, Rehire the laid-off workers!! No more furloughs!!

Geoff Carens geoff.carens at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 15:11:07 PST 2009

*Dear All,

Harvard laid off at least 275 clerical and administrative staffers in June.
115 HUCTW members at minimum lost their jobs. Five months later, fewer than
half the union members have found non-temp work at Harvard. Clerical workers
are beginning to face furloughs--mandatory time off without pay-- and some
will go as long as nine weeks without income! Furloughed workers must still
pay their regular deductions for health-care, disability benefits, etc.,
despite getting no paycheck.

Clerical workers and our allies will rally this Wednesday, Dec. 2, at 5
p.m., at Holyoke Center, 1350 Mass. Ave., Cambridge (steps from Harvard T).
We will demonstrate to show that our sisters and brothers facing the
unemployment line are not forgotten! We will not turn our backs on fellow
workers enduring furloughs at the richest university on earth! Harvard's
endowment is still a massive $26 billion, and no pay cuts have been imposed
on top administrators, unlike at other institutions. All are welcome to join
us! A flyer is attached with more details. Pls. forward this email *widely*.

In Solidarity,

Geoff Carens, Union Rep, HUCTW/AFSCME local 3650*