[act-ma] Thu 12/10 6:30pm The Pit Harvard T-Stop: Candle-light Vigil Human Rights Day

umang kumar umkumar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 11:07:46 PST 2009

The indigenous adivasi population of India has borne a disproportionate
burden of sacrifice for its progress. Although tribals constitute 8% of
India's population, they are 40% of the 60 million people displaced by large
projects from 1947 to 2004. Today, the lives of the already marginalized
adivasi communities of Jharkhand, Orissa, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal,
Maharastra are being battered by violence and displacement. These
communities that have been at the receiving end of economic and social
exploitation and also victims of a non-participatory and undemocratic
paradigm of development.

Let us come together on Human Rights Day, Dec 10th to share our thoughts and
raise our voices against the trampling of the rights of the indigenous
communities all over the world. Let us light a candle in solidarity with the
basic inalienable rights of indigenous people to live in peace in a place of
their choice. We will also talk about some activities that are taking place
in India and how we can stand in solidarity.

We will gather at the pit (behind Harvard T-stop) at 6.30pm on Dec 10th
(Thursday) and light a candle and sing. Feel free to bring a poster and a
song. Candles and cups will be available.

What : Candle Light Vigil
When : 6.30 pm, Dec 10th, Thursday
Where: Pit behind the Harvard T-stop