[act-ma] Jion us Tomorrow! 1030am New England delegation for Farm Worker Justice to Stop & Shop Hqtrs

Camilo Viveiros camiloviveiros at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 09:27:33 PST 2009

Fri Dec 11 1030am New England delegation for Farm Worker Justice to
Stop & Shop Hqtrs

Friday December 11 1030am New England delegation for Farm Worker
Justice to Stop & Shop Headquarters

Join the New England delegation for Farm Worker Justice to the Stop &
Shop headquarters on December 11 10:30am

On Friday, December 11, we will be delivering a sign-on letter to Stop
& Shop Headquarters in Quincy, to demand fair treatment and fair wages
for farm workers. Specifically we will ask Stop & Shop to demand more
humane labor standards from their Florida tomato suppliers (including
a zero tolerance policy for slavery), to pay a price premium for more
fairly produced tomatoes, and to shift purchases to growers who meet
those higher standards.

We invite your organization and religious leaders to sign on to the
letter by emailing by 5pm on Thursday December 10:
camiloviveiros at gmail.com

For those who sign on by 5pm on Thursday we will be holding a
conference call at 930pm.

See the letter here:
http://sfalliance.org/resources/Supermarket%20Manager%20Letter.pdf

Join our delegation of students, labor activists and people of faith
from Rhode Island, Boston and Southeastern Mass. We will be meeting at
Dunkin Donuts at 1250 Hancock Street in Quincy, MA 02169 at 10:30am on
Friday December 11, 2009.  If you have any questions or need
transportation, call: 508-993-2680

The Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) is a community-based
organization of mainly immigrants working in low-wage jobs in Florida.
Immokalee is the state's largest farm worker community. The corporate
food industry purchases a tremendous volume of fruits and vegetables,
leveraging its buying power to demand the lowest possible prices from
its suppliers, in turn exerting a powerful downward pressure on wages
and working conditions in these suppliers' operations. The CIW
organized successful campaigns against major fast-food companies
including Taco Bell, McDonalds, Burger King and Subway. Now the CIW
has turned its focus to the supermarket and food service industries,
including Stop & Shop. If we believe in justice we need to stand in
solidarity with the struggles of those who grow our food.

We will be having an organizing call on Thursday night, if you would
like to get more involved contact: camiloviveiros at gmail.com

In Solidarity & Struggle,
Camilo Viveiros, Rhode Island Jobs with Justice
New England delegation for Farm Worker Justice
camiloviveiros at gmail.com
508-993-2680

Stop & Stop, STOP Sweatshops in the Fields!
http://sfalliance.org/supermarket.html