[act-ma] 1/12/10, Lexington - The Climate Solution: "The First Millimeter: Healing the Earth"

Adam Sacks adam_artist at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 5 09:31:32 PST 2010

Hi All -

You are all invited to a screening of "The First Millimeter: Healing the Earth," followed by a discussion with eco-restoration expert Jim Laurie.

Tuesday, January 12th, 7 p.m.
Cary Library
1874 Massachusetts Avenue
Lexington

It
is now clear that reducing our emissions is a necessary but not nearly
sufficient step in addressing global warming - feedback loops are already
spinning out of control - we must also remove carbon from the atmosphere.
We know how to do this by restoring soils.  It's cheap, it provides animal
protein around the world, it re-establishes soil biodiversity, it's very
low-tech, you can do it on farms and ranches small and large, it restores
hydrological cycles and puts water back into the ground.
 Why aren't we doing this already?  Well,
some people are - 30 million acres worth in Australia, Africa, the U.S. -
that's roughly 1.5 ppm (3 gigatons) in the ground instead of in the
atmosphere.  There's enough degraded land around the world to sequester
the 100 ppm of excess carbon over the next twenty to forty years.
Why isn't  it happening even more?  Good question, find out more on January 12th.  But now's the time to shift to high gear - this is the only
thing resembling a solution on the horizon!

Sponsored by the Lexington Global Warming Action Coalition (GWAC), Citizens for Lexington Conservation, and the Lexington Community Farm Coalition.

Thanks!

Adam Sacks
781-674-2330
adam_artist at yahoo.com