[act-ma] Sunday morning, January 31, program, THE CURRENT STATE OF AMERICAN POLITICS, by the Ethical Society of Boston

John Lampert goodmanjl at comcast.net
Wed Jan 20 14:31:00 PST 2010

>From John Lampert

Sunday morning, January 31 at 10:30Am the Ethical Society of Boston will be presenting a program:

                       THE CURRENT STATE OF AMERICAN POLITICS

                    10:30AM Spiegel Auditorium, 56 Brattle Street, Cambridge (Harvard Square)
                    Program Speaker: Professor Charles Derber, Professor of Sociology, Boston
                    College, Program is Free, Public Welcome, Coffee and Discussion to follow
                    presentation.  For further information, call 617-739-9050 or visit BostonEthical.Org

Charles Derber is a writer who studies the "big picture" of American culture and global capitalism. His recent books focus on climate change, capitalism, globalization, terrorism, the culture of hegemony, and the power of multinational corporations. He has also written extensively on the American Dream and the crisis of individualism that defines American life, showing how our problems of community are organically tied to economic and political forces.

Public sociologists seek to bring the sociological imagination to a larger public forum. Derber writes mainly for a broad, public audience and spends considerable time writing and speaking for mass media and magazines. His books have been translated into German, Chinese, and Polish and are addressing a global audience. He has been intimately involved in the worldwide debate about climate change, capitalism, globalization, corporate power, the war on terrorism, and American Empire. This reflects his view that sociologists who feel they have something important to say should write in a clear and simple way rather than dress their arguments up in technical jargon. Sociologists have a distinctive perspective to offer on our social problems, and we are defaulting on our responsibilities if we don't enter the public debate.

His current work focuses on globalization, corporate power, American militarism, the culture of hegemony, and the new peace and global justice movements. The world is becoming as dominated by business values and power today as America was by the Robber Barons a century ago. Derber is persuaded that the overwhelming economic and cultural power of global corporations, increasingly melded with the political and military hegemonic power of the American government and the crisis of climate change, are together an integrated crisis that is now the pre-eminent social issue of the 21st century, and that we need a new vision and political movement that can offer an alternative.