[act-ma] 1/31 THOMAS CHEN - "Making Boston's Chinatown"

Commchurch.org info at commchurch.org
Tue Jan 26 14:03:28 PST 2010

THE COMMUNITY CHURCH OF BOSTON
SUNDAY SPEAKERS FORUM presents...

Sunday, January 31, 2010
11:00am

Reflections on the Chinese -- There & Here (part 2)
THOMAS CHEN
"Making Boston's Chinatown: Race, Place, and Culture in the Postwar
Metropolis"

Boston's Chinatown has been a place of constant transformation for the past
number of decades. Currently there is an active gentrification campaign
trying to dismantle the Chinese cultural center of New England. We will
discuss the history of Boston's Chinatown as learned through oral history.
We will also discuss the ongoing political and social struggles in
Chinatown, especially those things touching the lives of young people.

Tom is a Ph.D student at Brown University in American Civilization with a
focus on Asian American History and Culture, Comparative Race and Ethnicity,
Urban Studies, and Public Humanities. He works closely with the Asian
American Resource Workshop and was part of a team organizing youth
leadership development with young people in Boston. Tom is also a co-editor
of the forthcoming Asian American Studies Now: A Critical Reader from
Rutgers University Press.

This forum includes traditional Chinese string music by Laura Wang

Community Church of Boston
565 Boylston St. (Copley Square)
www.communitychurchofboston.org

*************

JOIN US ON SUNDAYS

10:00am 'Truth & Justice Radio' live w/ coffee, tea and bagels
11:00am Sunday Speakers' Service/Forum (2nd floor)
12:30pm Luncheon

*************

NEXT WEEK'S COMMUNITY CHURCH FORUM (2/7)

Superbowl Sunday
DAVID CZESNIUK
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Demons: Why Are So Many Athletes Being Exposed for
Personal Indiscretions?"

*************

LUNCH ON SUNDAYS, 12:30PM

On Sunday after our morning programs, we have lunch with one another in the
Guatemala Room (3rd floor), prepared by our cook Luis Alonso Guzman. Enjoy a
delicious lunch with friends! A small contribution is requested to help
cover lunch expenses.

*************

DIRECTIONS/PARKING

The Community Church is located at 565 Boylston Street in Copley Square,
between Dartmouth and Clarendon Streets.

Parking is available on Sunday mornings at the Back Bay Garage (entrances on
Clarendon Street or St. James Ave.). We can provide a sticker to affix to
your parking receipt, and you will be charged $5.00 for 3 hours of parking.

By public transportation, take the Green line to Copley or take the Orange
line to Back Bay station. Community Church is a 2-minute walk from either
station.

*************

A PEACE AND JUSTICE CONGREGATION SINCE 1920

The Community Church of Boston is a free community united for the study and
practice of universal religion, seeking to apply ethical ideals to
individual life and the democratic and cooperative principle to all forms of
social and economic life.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT US

Jason Lydon, Congregational Director
Community Church of Boston