[act-ma] Stein to Launch Campaign for Governor of the Commonwealth

Patrick Keaney pkeaney at netway.com
Thu Feb 4 06:29:01 PST 2010

Press Advisory: Thursdya, February 4, 2010

CONTACT: Jill Stein (617) 852-4727

*Dr. Jill Stein to Launch Campaign for Governor of the Commonwealth*

/Will be only candidate truly independent of the //Beacon Hill// machine/

BOSTON – Dr. Jill Stein will declare her candidacy for Governor of
Massachusetts on Monday, February 8^th , 2010 at a rally in front of the
State House. The event is scheduled for 11 a.m., across from the Robert
Gould Shaw monument. A crowd of enthusiastic volunteers from across the
state is expected to attend.

Stein, who ran for governor in 2002, and received over 350,000 votes in
her race for Secretary of the Commonwealth in 2006, sees 2010 as the
year in which voters are ready to turn to a candidate who comes from
outside the Beacon Hill establishment. “Clearly, there’s a voter
rebellion in the works,” said Stein. “Our campaign is going to give
people the opportunity to vote for real change and real solutions to the
grave problems facing our families, communities, working people and
small businesses.”

With at least four candidates aiming for the corner office, Stein
believes that it’s anyone’s race – and she insists she’s in it to win.
“With four competing candidates, this race can be won with as little as
26 percent of the vote.” Stein said. She noted that she received 19
percent of the vote in her 2006 race for Secretary of State, so the
possibility that a third party candidate could take the reins on Beacon
Hill is not far-fetched. Stein will run under the banner of the
Green-Rainbow Party, the state affiliate of the Green Party of the
United States.

“People have had enough of bailouts, layoffs, sweetheart deals,
unaffordable health care, cruel foreclosures, crushing costs of wars,
and foot-dragging on the climate crisis. It’s time for real change, not
more of the same,” said Stein. “We are going to break the stranglehold
of lobbyists and insiders, and get Beacon Hill back to work for the
ordinary people of the Commonwealth. Together we can build the healthy,
secure green future we so urgently need.”

# # #