[act-ma] Thursday Feb 11, 4:15 pm. Stop Commercial Logging in The Quabbin

Tribal Scribal valeoftheoaks at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 10 18:15:18 PST 2010

Eastern Mass Groups Call on Governor Patrick to Stop Commercial
Logging in The Quabbin Reservoir Lands (Boston’s Drinking Water
Supply) and Other State Public Forests

CLICK HERE TO SEE PHOTOGRAPHS OF CLEAR-CUTS IN THE QUABBIN AND OTHER
STATE LANDS: www.maforests.org/QUABBIN.pdf , www.maforests.org

Stop Spewing Carbon and Massachusetts Forest & Park Friends Network
will hold a press conference outside of the Taunton Public Library, 12
Pleasant Street, at 4:15 pm on Thursday Feb 11th, immediately
preceding the “Forest Future Vision” public forum, to be held by the
Massachusetts Office of Dispute Resolution (MODR). A state sponsored
“Forest Future Vision” process is currently underway due to widespread
citizen protest over destructive clear-cutting and aggressive logging
by private companies on public watershed lands, and in public parks
and forests.  The groups strongly object to the proposed plan as the
state review process did not consider watershed and wildlife areas in
this “Forest Future Vision” process, does not ban clear-cuts, and
continues to allow state lands to be logged for biomass plant fuel and
timber.

Meg Sheehan of Cambridge, Chair of the Stop Spewing Carbon Campaign,
says there is no reason to commercially log any of the state’s public
lands.  According to Sheehan, “All of Massachusetts’ state public
forests, watersheds and parks need full legal protection from
commercial logging. The Massachusetts Association of Conservation
Commissions and numerous other organizations support bans on clear-
cutting and opposes use of forests for biomass incinerators. Biomass
plants incinerate trees to make electricity – which the state wrongly
classifies as “clean energy.” One 50 megawatt biomass power plant
burns just over a ton of wood a minute. “This is a foolhardy
exploitation of our forests under the pretense of producing so-called
“clean energy,” said Sheehan.

The Massachusetts Forest and Park Friends Network asked the Department
of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) Stewardship Council to hold
forestry forums back in March 2008, after receiving numerous
complaints about forestry on state lands. "We want a true vision to
emerge from this process, not a rehash of DCR's forestry practices and
water supply lands should be included," said Sharl Heller, one of the
Friends Network Facilitators.  "We are asking for 80% of our public
forests to be put into permanent reserves. It's disturbing that the
TSC is asking for 80% of our lands to used as woodlots for commercial
and large-scale biomass extraction."

Massachusetts Forest Watch has released an expose showing aerial and
ground level photos of clear-cutting and aggressive logging of
watershed lands around the Quabbin Reservoir in central
Massachusetts.  The law provides most of Greater Boston with its
drinking water, and these lands are mandated by law to be protected.
Forest clear-cutting and diesel trucks are being allowed in areas
where even hiking is prohibited to protect the watershed. Photographs
which show Quabbin clear-cuts nearly reaching down to the water’s edge
can be viewed at www.maforests.org/QUABBIN.pdf

Other state forests and parks forests that have been subject to recent
clear-cuts include Windsor Jambs, Savoy, Wendell, Federation of
Women’s Club State Forests, and October Mountain.  “These are the
crown jewels of our state forests and parks,” said Matera.  Sheehan
added, “Generations of Massachusetts residents have enjoyed and
treasured our forests and parks – Myles Standish, Freetown State
Forest, and others – for their serenity and recreational value.  These
state approved clear-cuts show that DCR is not protecting our forests
and the public is sending a strong message that this must change.”

Massachusetts is the 3rd most densely populated state in the Union
with 6,000,000 residents. State public forests, watersheds and parks
comprise only 11% of Massachusetts land area and 17% of its forests
and represent our best chance to preserve and protect wilderness
areas, fish and wildlife habitat, clean water, clean air, tourism
income, carbon sequestration, scenic beauty and recreational
opportunities.

Stop Spewing Carbon and Massachusetts Forest & Park Friends Network
invite citizens to join this press conference at 4:15 and attend the
public forum at 5:00 p.m. inside the Taunton Public Library at 12
Pleasant Street.

The groups also urge that written public comments regarding commercial
logging on state public forests, watersheds and parks be sent by
February 22, 2010 to the state care of: MODRDCRFFVP at umb.edu

***************************************

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical world."

- Thomas Jefferson

more rebellion here:

http://concertobi.blogspot.com/

CAPE WIND: RIGHT PROJECT/WRONG PLACE!!

Checkout The Enviro Show on WXOJ-LP, 103.3fm

Northampton, MA, Tuesdays, 6:30pm

Also on WMCB, 107.9, Mondays at 9pm.
http://envirosho.blogspot.com