[act-ma] REMINDER! 3/3 Forum on Foreclosure Crisis (Boston, 33 Harrison Ave 7:00 pm)

David O. Knuttunen webmaster at dsaboston.org
Mon Mar 1 07:37:43 PST 2010

We are facing a crisis of housing foreclosures in Massachusetts. In November
2009, there were 76% more foreclosures than in the same month one year ago.
This wave of foreclosures is decimating entire communities, leaving
buildings empty and people without homes.

Big banks get bailed out, but our government has done little to help working
people who were tricked into bad loans and are now losing their homes to
foreclosure. Is this fair?

Our forum, with three very exciting speakers, will help us learn about this
important issue, and what can be done about it.  Details are below, or you
can get them at: http://dsaboston.org/calendar.htm
or download a PDF flyer at: http://dsaboston.org/Flyer_100303.pdf

We hope you will join us on March 3, at 33 Harrison Ave, Boston for our
forum.

DSA, Dollars & Sense and United for a Fair Economy Forum:
What to Do About Housing Foreclosures?

Wednesday, March 3, 2010
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Encuentro 5
33 Harrison Ave., Boston, MA 02111
For directions visit: http://www.encuentro5.org

This forum will look at how the greedy and unethical actions of the big
financial institutions helped cause the global economic crisis, of which the
foreclosure crisis is only a part. We will learn about efforts to pass
legislation to help people facing foreclosures, as well as the way people
are organizing in their communities to help themselves. And we will learn
what we can all do to help!

Speakers:

Grace Ross - Former Green Party gubernatorial candidate, now challenging
Governor Deval Patrick in the Democratic Party Primary. Currently, Grace is
a staffer for the Massachusetts Alliance Against Predatory Lending (MAAPL),
and author of the forthcoming book, Main Street Smarts: Who Got Us Into This
Economic Mess and How We Get Through It.

Melonie Griffiths - Tenant and Economy Project Organizer for City Life/Vida
Urbana, the Jamaica Plain-based social justice organization, which has been
organizing community members to resist evictions and save their homes.

Senator Sonia Chang-Diaz (D-Boston) - Co-sponsor of SB1609, one of the
MAAPL-supported bills, which would protect tenants from eviction in
foreclosed properties.

Feel free to invite family, friends and colleagues who may also be
interested.