[act-ma] 3/18: "Cocalero" - Free UPandOUT film screening, Thurs, March 18

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Fri Mar 12 14:30:01 PST 2010

Showing Thursday, March 18, in Cambridge:

*/Cocalero
/* /Real democracy the US could learn from/.

Born out of the US 'War on Drugs', an Aymara Indian named Evo - backed
by a troop of coca leaf farmers - travels through Andes and Amazon in
jeans and sneakers, leading a historic bid to become Bolivia's first
indigenous president. A lively story about geopolitics, people's
movements, indigenous culture, and one man's impressive determination.
With little money, but through ingenious organizing, the indigenous
majority of Bolivia was able to elect a person who represented their
interests, and would work to ... distribute the wealth of the country
more fairly. All these are radical ideas in the US. ... See trailer
<http://www.cocalerofilm.com>.

*Cocalero* closely follows Evo's campaign, getting up close and personal
with the candidate and the union organization backing him. What makes
Evo so fascinating is how unlikely a candidate he is. While the burly
candidate shrewdly watches for signs of yankee-instigated coups d'état
and fields trick questions from right-wing TV personalities ("/If you
are elected, will we be invaded by Cubans?/"), local unions conduct
voting rehearsals for the unlettered.

While the popular movement for Evo grew, there were US political
advisors who were working to get the establishment candidate elected.
That issue is covered in the film / * Our Brand Is Crisis*/ which
features James Carville as he devises media strategies to frighten
people into voting against Morales. "

"/The other thing we do, and what’s going on right now in Latin America
is that as soon as one of these anti-American presidents is elected,
*such as Evo Morales*/.../ in Bolivia, one of us goes in and says, 'Hey,
congratulations, Mr. President. Now that you’re president, I just want
to tell you that I can make you very, very rich, you and your family. We
have several hundred million dollars in this pocket if you play the game
our way. If you decide not to, over in this pocket, I’ve got a gun with
a bullet with your name on it, in case you decide to keep your campaign
promises and throw us out./' "~John Perkins, author /_Confessions of an
Economic Hit Man_/

*When/where*

6:40 pm, doors open for refreshments, extras
*7pm, film starts promptly*
243 Broadway, Cambridge - corner of Broadway and Windsor,
entrance on Windsor
http://rule19.org/videos

Please join us for a stimulating night out; bring your friends!
free film, free refreshments, & free door prizes.
[donations are accepted]

"/You can't legislate good will - that comes through education./" ~
Malcolm X

//// *UPandOUT film series - see http://rule19.org/videos

*Why should YOU care? It's YOUR money that pays for US/Israeli wars - on
Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Palestine, So America, etc etc - for
billionaire bailouts, for ever more ubiquitous prisons ...
//