[act-ma] Theater of the Oppressed Workshop (4/4, 12pm/noon @e5)

alisa alisa.wind at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 12:06:43 PDT 2010

**Theater of the Oppressed Workshop

Where: encuentro 5
   33 Harrison Avenue., 5th Floor
   Close to Downtown Crossing, Chinatown, and Boylston T stops
When: 12pm-noon to 2:00pm

Fear, isolation, alienation, privilege, racism, sexism, authoritarianism and
other forms of oppression plague our world, outside of as well as within our
social movements. However, often times, they are as much delivered in the
words we use when we attempt to dialogue about them, as in the dichotomy of
presenter vs audience that tries to carry forth the discussion.

Join us for an introductory workshop of Theater of the Oppressed, developed
by Augusto Boal in Brazil, that attempts to dissolve the verbal barrier and
the actor/spectator division by engaging every community participant as a
protagonist in identifying and dismantling these power dynamics in
society-at-large as well as inter-personally.

We will experiment using a number of games from the Theater of the Oppressed
canons, including Games for Actors and Non-Actors, Rainbow of Desire, as
well as from other interactive theater traditions.

A variety of games offer a direct way of feeling, hearing, and understanding
each other through body movement, sound, and image theater. Taken further,
skits explore possibilities of change by re-enacting oppressive situations
and rehearsing variations of overcoming them both individually and
collectively.

This interactive workshop will be facilitated by Alisa LaSotnik (as what the
T.O.T.O. tradition calls the "Joker,"). Alisa has taken a facilitators'
workshop with Augusto Boal in the Brecht Forum, NYC and has conducted
workshops in Ukraine, New Orleans, and other places. She will begin the
facilitation but the workshop will be free to flow un-facilitated, as we
explore these games together. Reference books will be available. Wear
loose-fitting and comfortable clothing!

Suggested Entry Donation: $5-$10 (No one turned away). Coffee, tea, and
light snacks will be available by MESA sin fronteras for suggested donations
of $2-$3.